Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refresh taking multiple licenses for custom database

Hello, I'm developing a dashboard for the company that I currently work for. I'm getting data from a licensed database that we own, and we currently own 24 licenses for that database. However, whenever I refresh the data in Power BI, it uses up as many licenses as it can. Is there a setting where I can refresh each table one at a time using the same license?

Thank you for your responses!

4 REPLIES 4
luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Another way to do it is to use the Power BI REST API to push /refresh  the dataset.   Your code could control the connections and thus not have to use up all licenses.   Parallel processing helps performance, but it also depends on your data source and a lot of other factors.  For the most part I have found that pushing data is fast and you have control.  In this scenario I would suggest you do a push.  (I assume you are talking about the service here, not PBI RS) 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@luisrh do I have to have the power bi for developers? How can I access the API without making a seperate application?

luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

You do have to register an 'app' with azure AD.  This is mostly so you can access the API.  You can create this in Azure and there is a simple guide that shows you how to do that -  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/walkthrough-push-data

The API's are simple and you can use a tool like fiddler or Postman to do test it out.   If you are embedding in your application,  you will need to get up to speed with the API.    It's very easy to use, as well.

Good luck!

Luis

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

You could try going into File -> Options, then under "Current File" -> "Data Load" try turning off the option to enable parallel loading of tables. This might slow down your load a little, but I think this might also restrict it to only using a single connection to the source system.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors