Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rifaymars
Frequent Visitor

Refresh reports with PowerShell - PowerBI Report Server(on-premises)

Hello, we are using PowerBI Report Server and automatic reports refresh does not work. I want to use PowerShell to refresh all reports automatically.  All reports are on company' server and we don't use PowerBI online at all.

At the moment I click Edit on each report then refreshes it and save it again. But now i have about 25 reports and it's inconvenient to refresh each one individually.

Option 1: Is it possible to use PowerShell to update reports directly on the report server.

Option 2: Is it possible to use PowerShell to update reports on local PC, and then just upload them?

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rifaymars ,

I find some others met the same error with you and they resolved it by uninstalling Power BI Report Server and installed it again.

Or = the cause may be the access to the folder of D:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\ReportServer\RSTempFiles\~AspAccessCheck_81fb13747360.tmp is prevented. So try to give access to it.

Reference: Solved: Re: Cannot create Scheduled Refresh Plan on on-pre... - Page 2 - Microsoft Power BI Communit...

Please check if this works for you. And before reinstall your PBIRS, it is suggested to back up it.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

rifaymars
Frequent Visitor

Last week I installed the new version - Power BI Report Server September 2023, after each new version I test Schedule Refresh. After this version for a first time Scheduler Refresh works!
I have managed to set it up for all my reports and data sources. Just for web source – it does not work.
So happy now, I have automated PowerBI reports.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
rifaymars
Frequent Visitor

Last week I installed the new version - Power BI Report Server September 2023, after each new version I test Schedule Refresh. After this version for a first time Scheduler Refresh works!
I have managed to set it up for all my reports and data sources. Just for web source – it does not work.

rifaymars
Frequent Visitor

Last week I installed the new version - Power BI Report Server September 2023, after each new version I test Schedule Refresh. After this version for a first time Scheduler Refresh works!

Hariharan_R
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi,

Trying you to understand your scenairo better. why can't you setup a schedule refresh for your reports?

Thanks

Hari

Unfortunately scheduled refresh  is not working since day 1 🙂 I don't know how to figure out why it's not working, that's why I'm trying to search for alternative way.

I got this error:

rifaymars_0-1655361216283.png

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rifaymars ,

What are your data sources? Are they in the list of supported scheduled refresh data sources?

In addition, if your data sources are supported to set trigger refresh, you can try this:

PowerBI RS: Setting Data Refresh in Trigger Mode | by Davis Zhang | Towards Data Science.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

1. I have tryed many types of data sources - mainly we use MS SQL, but i have a test reports -  with Excel source and one with Web page:

rifaymars_0-1655368556913.png

None of them works! 

I will try this trigger method, but i wanted to use the standart one. Unfortunetely i got this error.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rifaymars ,

I find some others met the same error with you and they resolved it by uninstalling Power BI Report Server and installed it again.

Or = the cause may be the access to the folder of D:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\ReportServer\RSTempFiles\~AspAccessCheck_81fb13747360.tmp is prevented. So try to give access to it.

Reference: Solved: Re: Cannot create Scheduled Refresh Plan on on-pre... - Page 2 - Microsoft Power BI Communit...

Please check if this works for you. And before reinstall your PBIRS, it is suggested to back up it.

Best Regards,

Icey

Hi

Please ensure your SQL Server Agent is up and running because when you configure a schedule refresh it will create a job in SQL Server agent which will take care of refreshe schedules.

Also check below details for more information - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/configure-scheduled-refresh

Thanks

Hari

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

My Blog :: YouTube Channel :: My Linkedin

SQL Agent is up and running:

rifaymars_1-1655368726035.png

No jobs related with PBI:

rifaymars_2-1655368759947.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.