Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sca4TVD
Helper I
Helper I

Refresh not possible with enhanced Metadata after latest Update

I installed the latest update of PBI-RS from January.

For some reason I cannot reply to the post about this update (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-Report-Server-October-2020-update-2/m-p/1588...)

I have issues like those reported here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-Report-Server-October-2020-update-has-been-r...

I import several Excel files from a Folder.

Data Refresh was not possible until I updated PBI-RS to the January Patch.

I think due to problems with different casing in the path, which is corrected in this update as documented in the changelog (

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/changelog)

Now the data refresh stops with the following error message in the RSPowerBI_xxx.log:

2021-01-13 12:09:21.5116|ERROR|59|Error Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: e22bf2be-0ffd-49c0-bf79-ecf506e9b2c7, Status: Error Failed Data Refresh, Exception Microsoft.AnalysisServices.OperationException: Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, An item with the same key has already been added..
The current operation was cancelled because another operation in the transaction failed.
'.
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.DataRefreshScope.ExecuteActionWithLogging(Action methodToExecute, String description, String localizedDescription, String messageInFailure, RefreshInfo refreshInfo, DataAccessors dataAccessors, ReportEventType operation, Boolean isDataRetrieval, Boolean showInExecutionLog, Boolean sendToTelemetry)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.AnalysisServicesDataRefresh.RefreshData(RefreshInfo refreshInfo)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.DataRefreshScope.<>c__DisplayClass34_0.<ExecuteActionWithLogging>b__0()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.DataRefreshScope.<ExecuteFuncWithLogging>d__33`1.MoveNext()

Update in PBI Desktop works without any issues.

After reading the posts mentioned above, I disabled the Enhanced metadata format and started from scratch.

I copied the M-Code from the original file, to have the identical transformations. Then I added the calculated columns to the models and deployed the new PBIX file to PBI-RS.

Now the Refresh works.

It looks like the enhanced metadata format is not implemented correctly in PBI-RS.

Is there an fix coming with the Official January Release of PBI-RS?

Best regards

Salvatore

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sca4TVD ,

It hasn't been fixed in the Official January Release of PBI-RS.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
sca4TVD
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you, Dedmon

Do you know the timeline for the solution of this issue?

Best regards

Salvatore

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sca4TVD ,

It hasn't been fixed in the Official January Release of PBI-RS.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.