Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

imenmaiza
Helper II
Helper II

RLS with duplicated users assigned to different Teams

RLSHello,

I am facing a problem with RLS and I deeply need support, 

First, we have build a dashboard where we manage Teams and employees. We have applied RLS and every Team leader have access to the data of his Team. Everything worked just fine.

After a while the structure of the Teams did change, now we have employees that belong to different Teams. So, we have a duplicate Username. I have listed below an example of my table called ''User'' where I manipulate Which Team Leader sees data of which employee:
Before
Team Leader John will see data of Victoria and Team Leader Bruce will see data of Alice:

IDUserNameEmailManagerID
1JohnJohn@Company.intern 
2VictoriaVictoria@Company.intern1
3BruceBruce@Company.intern 
4AliceAlice@Company.intern3

After
Team Leader John will see data of Victoria and Alice. Team Leader Bruce will see data of Alice:

IDUserNameEmailManagerID
1JohnJohn@Company.intern 
2VictoriaVictoria@Company.intern1
3BruceBruce@Company.intern 
4AliceAlice@Company.intern3
5AliceAlice@Company.intern1

I am facing a problem in relationships between the ''User'' table above where we manipulate the level of security and the ''Teams'' table where we organize the company team structure.

Is this possible? How can I set RLS with duplicated Usernames in the User table? 

I look forward to your support,

Best Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can have multiple RLS rules for each user, and these rules can even contradict each other. Permissive rules will override restrictive rules.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can have multiple RLS rules for each user, and these rules can even contradict each other. Permissive rules will override restrictive rules.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

use a different RLS rule for your managers.

Hello Ibendlin,
Could you please be more precise,
Thanks in advance for your help,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.