Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RLS for PowerBI report server Paginated Reports and KPI

Hello All,

I am trying to create a dashboard kind of user experience in powerbi report server using KPI's and Paginated Reports using SQL Server Report Builder.

Capture.JPG2.JPG

I did created some KPI's and published on to our powerbi Report Server.

But i would like to restrict the data at user level, like as we apply RLS in Cube or Reports by creating Roles and giving access to them based on their username.

Is RLS is available on PowerBI report server KPI's or paginated reports.

If it is possible, then please guide me.

Regards,

Mohan V.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if you setup RLS in a SSAS tabular model using roles, as long as you configure the data source to connect to it and pass the users credentials you should get the same behaviour as you do in PowerBI. This works for us for paginated reports we haven't tried it with KPIs.

If you are connecting to a conventional SQL Server database you need to apply RLS inside the SQL DB and once again pass the users credentials when you setup the data source. This works for us for paginated reports but once agian we haven't tried it with KPIs

There are plenty of tutorials and blog posts out there about setting RLS up in a DB or in a SSAS Tab model.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous thanks for the reply.

I did tried the way that you mentioned above on KPI's, by using ssas cubes with RLS roles enabled init, it didnt worked.

But i didnt tried using paginated reports.

Could you please share any blogs which implemented the same on DB and SSAS cubes.

Regards,

Mohan V.

Anonymous
Not applicable

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/4028/sql-server-2016-row-level-security-example/

This covers RLS in SQL DB's

When you tried this you definitely used accounts that weren't SSAS admins or Server admins to view the KPIs? They tend to cause any row level security to behave oddly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.