Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

markrichey
Frequent Visitor

RLS In PowerBi On Prem

Hello,

Attempting to Move a report I made onto PowerBi on Prem as we have ent sql licences.

In my report I use RLS which works fine when published to PowerBi Website but on Prem I cant see any menu option for adding users to the role etc.

My connection is to a SQL server and the method is Import (same as on the website).

Does On Prem not support RLS in PowerBi? If so thats shockingly poor, hoping I am wrong on this.

Mark

5 REPLIES 5
tarunBhuyan

Is Row Level Security for non SSAS direct query still not supportive?

jtarquino
Employee
Employee

RLS is embedded models is not supported in the October version of the Power BI Report Server, you can implement row level security with windows authentication all the way throught the database for example (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/row-level-security)

Regards

-Jaime

Hi @jtarquino

Is it a feature we can expect to see in On Prem sometime soon?

By not supporting it anyone who has spent time using the Site version and building reports based on RLS end up supporting multiple security models based on what paltform the user is on which, to be blunt, is a pain the a$$. We are using the site version to give access to our mobile workforce and On Prem to service the rest of the users, now it looks like I will need to make a "On Prem" version in order to do it with RLS at the DB level.

It was bad enough that we had to wait until now for sensible Matrix tables (which are great thank you very much) but now its another kick to the On Prem group who pay a fair ammount in Ent sql licences for the option to run On Prem. I know the on prem cant be as up to date as the latest and greatest but a fair amount of fuss was made over the RLS in PowerBi so its dissapointing to not have it here.

Mark

Feel free to cast your vote for it here as we use customer feedback to prioritize our next set of features.

Regards

-Jaime

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.