Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

teros
Helper I
Helper I

REST API access to PBIRS with CustomSecuritySample authentication

From an on-premise report server, we're embedding Power BI reports in our forms-authenticated application. We've modified the CustomSecuritySample to handle the authentication, and so far, it's working pretty well, though updating PBIRS is a little worrisome each time, as all of the various config files need to be re-modified and tested.

I'd also like to be able to automate some of the SSRS maintenance tasks associated with these reports, such as creating new folders and loading reports into them, deploying report updates throughout the folder tree, managing security, and the like.  I'd kind of like to accomplish this through a C# console app. 

Is there any way to access the report server using the REST API without the forms-based authentication? Can we have both flavors of authentication (NT Auth and Forms) into the same Power BI Report Server instance?

-- Tony

1 REPLY 1
Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

The server can only be in one mode at a time (e.g. everything windows auth, or everything custom auth). One trick you could try... setup two pbirs server joined to the same scale-out farm. setup one server with windows, the other with custom auth. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.