Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Question regarding report server/power bi infrastructure setup

So far my experience with Power BI has mostly been with creating various reports and working on the data side of things. 

But I'm now looking to expand my knowledge into how the infrastructure side of things work: 

If I have a databases on a SQL server, that I want a specific group of PowerBI users to be able to access and work with. Create reports/visuals and share with eachother (without mailing the files etc obviously). Ie a "portal" of sorts.  From what I quickly gathered, this sounds like what the PowerBI Report Server does? For which I would need a Premium license? 

Also, can I manage authorisation for these reports/visuals easily? Such as some reports are avaible for everyone in the organistaion, some reports for specific people/deparments and some reports even available for the public (outside organisation, possibly through an iframe on official website). 

Another question regarding the reportserver/premium is if I "lock" myself into one route so to speak, and am stuck in a possible sub-optimal route for future expansion and development. Or is this the "main road" that is the most futureproof etc?

Thank you for your assistance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - If the SQL database is just storing data that you wish the users to access and use in their reports, then Premium is not required. Power BI Report Server is what you use if you want to keep published reports on-premises and not in the Power BI Service. See this: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Licensing-in-Pictures-Updated/bc-p/1310230

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - If the SQL database is just storing data that you wish the users to access and use in their reports, then Premium is not required. Power BI Report Server is what you use if you want to keep published reports on-premises and not in the Power BI Service. See this: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Licensing-in-Pictures-Updated/bc-p/1310230

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler - Thank you for the fast answer. 

Not sure I fully understand, the current licensing that is used is Pro, could I do what I descriped with that license? Or would perhaps the Embed license be better?

Thank you 

@Anonymous - If I understand correctly, Pro is the way to go. If the SQL database just holds data, then you would do the following:

1. In Desktop (which is free) you would import your data from SQL or connect using Direct Query

2. Create your report from your data

3. Publish report to the Power BI Service (this is your 'portal')

4. Share the report in the Service with other people who have Pro license

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors