Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vickyd
Helper V
Helper V

Publishing process to PBI Report Server

When one deploys a SSRS report using Visual Studio, there is an option to not deploy the data sources. So we can setup the data sources once in the Report Server in each environment (Development/UAT/Production) and deploy and not have to worry about the report pointing to the wrong database on deployment. 

With PBI Desktop, there is only a Save As option and no publish or deploy option to Report Server so every time a report is saved to a server, the data source connection also gets overwritten with whatever you had connected to in PBI Desktop. 

Is there any way this can managed better or is it just how PBI Desktop will be and we have to live with it? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vickyd,

Save As feature is for us to publish Power BI report to Power BI report server. You can see: Step 4: Save your report to the report server. You can also use the Upload button in web portal to publish report. 

q2.PNG

You can vote this idea as well: Provide option to 'Publish to Report Server' instead of 'Save As' on Power BI Desktop for Report Ser....

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vickyd,

Save As feature is for us to publish Power BI report to Power BI report server. You can see: Step 4: Save your report to the report server. You can also use the Upload button in web portal to publish report. 

q2.PNG

You can vote this idea as well: Provide option to 'Publish to Report Server' instead of 'Save As' on Power BI Desktop for Report Ser....

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

to publish on the report server is necessary to have a pro license?

Regards

Yes. I think technically you will be allowed to publish without a Pro account but from a licensing perspective you are supposed to have a Pro license to publish to Power BI Report Server. 

Thanks @vickyd for your reply.

I am very confused about this point, because I have done several tests on and so far I have been able to publish reports to the report server without needing a Pro license.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.