Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Published Report Can't connect to CSV file on network share

Hi,

I have a published Power BI Report that has a SQL Connect and 3 CSV's and and 1 XLSX.

All CSV and XLSX files are auto generated from an internal application and placed on the file share nightly.

When I refresh this report within Power BI Desktop, it works fine and is able to import the data.

When I publish to the report server and go to the data source of the report and enter in the credentials, I get the following error.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

your issue here is more than likely that the service account running PBI Report Server doesn't have access to the share. When refreshing from the service,  that is the account used to access the shares.   Ensure that account can see the shares and has READ access to it.   That should resolve your issue.

When you do it thru PBI desktop you are running it under your account that has access to the shares etc...

good luck!

Luis.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks,

Your post put me in the right direction. The usename and password that had access needed to be added on both servers

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

your issue here is more than likely that the service account running PBI Report Server doesn't have access to the share. When refreshing from the service,  that is the account used to access the shares.   Ensure that account can see the shares and has READ access to it.   That should resolve your issue.

When you do it thru PBI desktop you are running it under your account that has access to the shares etc...

good luck!

Luis.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks,

Your post put me in the right direction. The usename and password that had access needed to be added on both servers

luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Great to hear!

thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors