Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Michael_Mertens
Resolver I
Resolver I

Publish to Power BI Service by Desktop for RS Oct 2020

Hi,

with the May version of the Desktop for RS (and former versions) it was possible to publish reports to the cloud.
So it could be used with both, Report Server and Cloud Service.
The October version doesn't have the publish option any more. Is this intended or a bug?

Thanks & Regards
Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This change was not intentional and will be reverted in the next servicing update to the october release.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Ashok_Mistry

Not able to publish report on cloud from Power BI RS Oct 2020 updated version also.

josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

We have the same issue here. Publish to cloud Power BI Service is missing in latest version of Power BI Desktop optimized for Report Server.

It is very important feature in large companies, which using both on-premise Power BI Report Server and cloud Power BI Service, with only single tool (due internal policy and testing cycles), which support both enviroments.

Please, is it confirmed bug? Is any ETA of fix?

jguerrero
Helper II
Helper II

I found an error in the logs:

2020-11-09 14:22:23.6110|ERROR|117|Failure in reportproperties|
RequestID = s_344b8cbf-79ff-46e6-bf34-fda61685946a
Microsoft.PowerBI.Packaging.Storage.NewerFileVersionException: '1.21' is newer than the product version.

Why is this heppening if I have all the software (PBIDxRS & RS) updated to the latest versions?

Just wanted to provide an update to this thread, we released a new build of Power BI Report Server yesterday which fixed issues that had the same effect as the one described here.  In case you still experience problems after the upgrade, I suggest to open a separate thread specific for that issue so we can better track. Feel free to tag me directly in those as well.

You can find more details about the update in this thread:

jguerrero
Helper II
Helper II

As I mentioned, we were using only PBIDxRS to publish in both, PBIRS and PowerBI.com.

This week I upgraded from PBIDxRS May 2020 to Oct 2020.

I started to work with this new version when I realized there was not PUBLISH option in tis new version.

So I downloaded and Installed the PBID Oct 2020 to publish in PowerBi.com.

But when I opened the dashboard previously saved in PBIDxRS I received this message...

Capture.JPG

Now I am concerned and have to back up the dashboards before they change in PBID Oct2020 to avoid any errors, and then test the dashboards saved in one version with the other and publish both in both, PBIRS and PowerBi.com to be sure I will not have any issues.

That is why I am asking if I have the latest versions in both applications.

jguerrero
Helper II
Helper II

I need some help here, please...

PBIDesktop says the version of the dashboard created with PBIDxRS was created in an older version. It will not longer be saved in Report server. What is the lastest version of both? 

My PBID is           Version: 2.86.902.0 64-bit (October 2020)

My PBIDxRS is     Version: 2.86.961.0 64-bit (October 2020)

Are they or are they not compatible? Maybe I have a wrong version installed? Which one?

@jguerrero Can you clarify what is the scenario step by step and where you are seeing errors?

jguerrero
Helper II
Helper II

We have the same issue here.

We were using just the PBIDxRS since it covered both ways to publish (to Report Server & Web Services). Now the option simply dissapear whithout notice.

I know I can use both PBID versions, but changes like this are annoying.

Any official statement, Microsoft?

This change was not intentional and will be reverted in the next servicing update to the october release.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I have this same problem too. It is so frustrating since I looked everywhere for it.
SunnyUbhie
Frequent Visitor

I'm having this issue too.
As we hope to move to Report Server eventually, having all our reports and dashboards made in Power BI Desktop for RS gives us a way to ensure the transition is seamless.

We could switch to the normal version of Power BI Desktop but as the RS version is usually behind we won't be able to open our dashboards when we do switch because RS would be a previous version.

Is there any plans to add the Publish button to Power BI Desktop for RS, otherwise we will forever be stuck with the May 2020 version?

Thanks for reporting this, we are investigating and will report back to this thread.

Thanks

-gboreki

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.