Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Vito
Helper I
Helper I

Publish on Web from Report Server on DMZ

Good afternoon,

I would be very grateful if you could direct me to some source to understand the details as to how to publish a report on the web from a RS installed within a DMZ. I am mainly interested to understand if embedding the report with an iref tag requires teawing the security options to allow everyone on the web to get access to it.

The report is self sufficient, no need to refresh. It is just pbix file to be published.

Many thanks for your support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

I don't think you will find much information on this since the whole point of PBI Report Server is to run on-prem behind a firewall where the reports are not available to the wider internet.

Since you already need to have a pro license to publish reports to Report Server the simplest solution is to just use the publish to web feature: Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs on the Power BI Service. Then you don't need to expose your Report Server on a DMZ or open it up to anonymous access.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Vito
Helper I
Helper I

Thak you for your reply.

Installing an instace of the RS on DMZ has the objective to seal off the content storent in the server that cannot be shared and reduce the risk of intrusions. 

By prublishing the file through the MS service has the same level of safety?

@Vito wrote:

Installing an instace of the RS on DMZ has the objective to seal off the content storent in the server that cannot be shared and reduce the risk of intrusions. 

By prublishing the file through the MS service has the same level of safety?

I cannot really answer that. It depends if you think your security team is larger and more skilled than the one at Microsoft. But I thought the whole point of putting the server in the DMZ was that you wanted to share a report with anonymous users on the internet. Is this not the case? Can you clarify exactly what your requirements are?

You are right. The all point of my post is to expose the report to the internet users at large assuring that it is safe too.

At the same time our policy here is that we can't use any commercial cloud service (MS, AWS, etc) for our daily work duty. 

The publishing of the report as interactive piece alongside more static document is something we want to achieve.

Publishing through the service entail sending the pbix file to MS Server or give access to our main RS?

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

I don't think you will find much information on this since the whole point of PBI Report Server is to run on-prem behind a firewall where the reports are not available to the wider internet.

Since you already need to have a pro license to publish reports to Report Server the simplest solution is to just use the publish to web feature: Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs on the Power BI Service. Then you don't need to expose your Report Server on a DMZ or open it up to anonymous access.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.