Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

soandos
Helper I
Helper I

Problems loading visuals on closed network

I am trying to import custom visuals (.pbiviz files) into my reports in Power BI Desktop for Report Server (May 2021) on a network that does not have internet access. Some visuals seem to load after a while (a minute or two) and some seem to keep spinning forever.

When I try and do the same thing on machines that are connected to the internet, it always seems to load the custom visuals in an instant. Is there anything that could be going when trying to load custom visuals on a closed network (via opening the visual from a .pbiviz file on the local machine)? If so, is there something that can be done about it?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @soandos 

May be follow the steps you can solve the situation.

vjaneygmsft_0-1631697831367.png

Please read the document first:

Troubleshoot custom visuals in Power BI Desktop for Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Do...

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Janey

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @soandos 

May be follow the steps you can solve the situation.

vjaneygmsft_0-1631697831367.png

Please read the document first:

Troubleshoot custom visuals in Power BI Desktop for Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Do...

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Janey

That fixed it. Thank you for the pointer to the documentation

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

There may be good reasons why your IT department is blocking this, but you can copy the .pbiviz from one machine to another and then load it from the file rather than from the marketplace.

If you can't find the ,pbiviz you can open the pbix where you successfully installed the visual (use a ZIP viewer)  and extract the pbiviz from there.  

Apologies if this was unclear, but I am already doing that. When I open the pbiviz file from the desktop, it just spins in the visual pane, and doesn't load sometimes (its different per visual, not per time I try a given visual)

Examine the code for the visual.  Most likely it is trying to "phone home" and failing to do so (which is probably a good thing).  Try to stay on the safe side and only use visuals that do not phone home and that do not transport your data to a third party for processing.

I'm seeing some requests on the network connected machine to "content.prod.powerquery.microsoft.com".

Does anyone know what this is, and if it is related?

Can you isolate the visual that is causing that?  If that is a Microsoft certified visual then this would be rather alarming.

How would that kind of thing prevent the visual from loading? Is there a block of the TypeScript that runs before the visual is loaded on the visual pane (i.e. the visual is not even selectable for putting on the canvas, it just spins there).

Seperately, I looked at the code, and I don't see any calls that would get made in the source code (I just unpacked the .pbiviz file). 

What could cause this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.