Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

danqa

Problem with uploading larger files on premises

Hello All!

We have Power BI Server on premises (Jan 2021 version) that is connected with MSaaS database. Current problem that bothers me is that I cannot upload any files using Upload buttons that are over around 20MB (doesn't matter if it is report file or Excel file). I receive almost immediately pop-up "Sorry something went wrong. Try again". When I try to upload using Power BI Desktop app mostly it is going through, but heavy files (let's say over 200-300 MB) have same behaviour. It is trying to upload it, then saving window just disappear and file is never delivered to the server.

I was trying to find it out in logs, but there is no log entry on that, while files uploaded to the server successfully login database onboarding and model creation entries. Cannot figure it out what it could be - file size limit is not the case here, it is set to 2GB, other settings seems to be good.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
danqa

Hi!

Many thanks @v-janeyg-msft  and @HashamNiaz for your replies!

Actually this was a tricky thing - issue with upload was caused by enabling V2 version of portal design. After setting this option to False we are able to upload reports again. I will check if it also helped for bigger files uploaded through Power BI application.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
danqa

Hi!

Many thanks @v-janeyg-msft  and @HashamNiaz for your replies!

Actually this was a tricky thing - issue with upload was caused by enabling V2 version of portal design. After setting this option to False we are able to upload reports again. I will check if it also helped for bigger files uploaded through Power BI application.

HashamNiaz
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @danqa !

How about if you copy the file tp On-Prem Report Server, and try to ulpoad the file directly from Repot Server, meaning the Power BI Desktop file is available locally on the server & you upload it from there. This will reduce the network latency and larger files will be uploaded swiftly.

You can also ask network administrator to monitor the latency & figure out why files are not uploaded to the server.

@v-janeyg-msft , the question is about Power BI Report Server (On-Prem), not about the Power BI Service. We don;t have workspaces in Power BI Report Server.

Regards,

Hasham

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @danqa 

The file uploaded to the service can't exceed 1GB, but pbix itself is a highly compressed file, the value can't be determined. Please check the usage of the workspace capacity in the service to see if it is almost full. Try to add some small files to see if they can be uploaded normally.

Sorry, I see you have been emphasizing the file size, it makes me went wrong.
Regarding this problem in report server, I think you need to check whether you have the permission to publish reports in web portal>>subscription.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.