Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem opening document in report server after saving in latest version of desktop

Hi! 

I have created a dashboard with the latest version of the Power Bi Desktop (December 2018). When I try to open the dashboard with the power BI report server (August 2018) I get an error message saying: Error message.png

I need to open the document in Power Bi report server because Iäm about to publish the dashboard. Any ideas on how to solve this problem? 

Thanks so much!!

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ensure that the Power BI report Server and the Power BI Desktop for Report Server are at the same version.

This may help:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Pbix-file-version-change-from-1-12-to-1-15/td-p/520442

Until the Jan. release of PowerBI Server you will need to either:

1. Redevelop the reports built on the NOV 2018 Desktop tool with the AUG 2018 Desktop tool link I listed above. The version I linked works with the AUG 2018 Report Server.

2. Wait for the Jan Report Server upgrade (hopefully this week) and pray it works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I created the report again from scratch with the august version. Now it works 🙂 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Power BI desktop for service which you run is newer than the version Power BI report server supported. As the message mentioned, the pbix file you authored requires December Power BI desktop to open. You need to use Power BI desktop optimized for report server to recreate the report. See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/install-powerbi-desktop

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! Thanks for the response. 

Do you mean that I have to recreate the report manually, or is there a way to do it automatically so that my report works with Power BI desktop optimized for report server?

Alternatively, when will the report i created in the december version be compatible with the Power BI desktop optimized for report server? In the next release (january)?

Thanks! 

Hi @Anonymous,

Currently, the Power BI desktop Power BI desktop optimized for report server is older than the Power BI desktop for service. You can double check the link mentioned in my previous post. I'm afraid you have to recreate the report use the corresponding Power BI desktop optimized for report server version which is released with Power BI report server. 

I didn't receive the news about this "report i created in the december version be compatible with the Power BI desktop optimized for report server". You can submit your feedback here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.