Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mark77
Helper I
Helper I

Problem adding new node power bi report server - Scale out not found?

Hi,

We are currently running a PowerBI Reportserver. Lets call it [EU1]. EU1 holds the sql configuration as well.

I wish to add another node, to have geographic coverage. Lets call this [US2].

I've installed powerbi report server on US2 and connected it to the database on EU1.

According to the instruction I found, I'm supposed to now "Scale Out". But for the life of me, I cannot find this button.

I've been trying to replicate the steps in this guide:
How to install Power BI on-premise Report Server nodes across several machines behind a network load...

Note that I have not installed any clustering / load balancing.

The following steps are mentioned in the guide:

To join the second report server instance to the scale-out deployment

1. Open the Reporting Services Configuration tool, and reconnect to the first report server instance. The first report server is already initialized for reversible encryption operations, so it can be used to join additional report server instances to the scale-out deployment.
  2. Click Scale-out Deployment to open the Scale-out Deployment page. You should see two entries, one for each report server instance that is connected to the report server database. The first report server instance should be joined. The second report server should display a status of “Waiting to join”. If you do not see similar entries for your deployment, verify you are connected to the first report server that is already configured and initialized to use the report server database.
  3. On the Scale-out Deployment page, select the report server instance that is waiting to join the deployment, and click Add Server.

Question 1 : I asume this is the powerbi report server configuration manager; Not something accessed via SQL Management Studio. If this is a item that should be found via SSMS, I'm uncertain if this is a database connection or SSRS connection.

Question 2 : I do NOT see any scale out deployment page. I'm at a loss where to find it.

Question 3 : As stated, I did not install any load balancing; Is this an essential step I skipped incorrectly?

A screenshot concerning my config:

Report Server ConfigReport Server Config

Thanks for your help

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Something is wrong with your EU1 server. I have not seen this issue before. I have 2 stand alone dev instances and a test and prod cluster and the scale out option is visible for all of these. It does "pop in" after connecting to the local instance so the configuration manager obviously runs some checks before showing it.

Is your EU1 server fully functional. Are both the Web Service URL and Web Portal URL configured? Is the database engine on EU1 configured to allow remote connections? If this is all done then you may have to look at raising a ticket with Microsoft Support so that a support engineer can go through some more detailed troubleshooting with you.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mark77 ,

I'm not sure I can give exactly the right answer on Q1 and Q3, as for Q2,It's the same as SSRS, please see: Configure a Native Mode Report Server Scale-Out Deployment

Expect some experts in this field, such as d_gosbell, could provide you with the nice help.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors