Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

Printing from Report Server / Export as PDF

I dont currently have access to an installed version of report server, are you able to print or export to pdf from report server?  In the documentation it talks about a paginated view.   

'Paginated reports are paginated document-style reports, in which the more data you have, the more rows in the tables, and the more pages the report would have. That’s great for generating fixed-layout, pixel-perfect documents optimized for printing, such as PDF and Word files.'

How do you develop a paginated report, is it different from the default power bi desktop report?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

3 REPLIES 3
Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

Hello - couple comments:

1. If you want to try PBI report server but don't want to set it up. There is an Azure template you can run from the Azure portal that will configure a demo server for you in 10mins. Comes with demo/trial content and is all preconfigured. 

2. There are two types of reports. PowerBI Dekstop Reports for on-screen powerpoint like interactive reports. And Paginated "pixel perfect" document style reports (e.g. think word documents with tables). Exporting to word and PDF is the core scnearios for paginated reports and is supported.

3. If you want to learn more about paginated reports, search for any tutorial or book around reporting services reports. 1000's of pages of stuff there.   

@Jon-Heide  thats great, i forgot about that azure portal, thanks for the remindner!

so just to clarify the paginated view is actually an ssrs report developed with visual studio / ssdt as opposed to power bi desktop.  Of which you can use both power bi desktop reports and ssrs reports on report server?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

@vanessafvg That is correct. There is also a 3rd type of report called the Mobile Report for which u need mobile report publisher.

1. Paginated Report - Standard SSRS Report built using SSDT/Report Builder

2.PowerBI Desktop Report - Built connecting to SSAS Instances as live query (importing data into desktop is not supported yet)

3.Mobile Reports  - The old "DataZen" reports that u can access through the PowerBI IOS App after you configure it to connect to your RS instance alongside PowerBI Reports

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors