Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Hitesh_sri
Frequent Visitor

Prerequisites of Power BI Report Server

What are the prerequisites core/RAM for Power BI Report Server ?

4 REPLIES 4
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Hitesh_sri ,

I don't know more about prerequisites core/RAM for Power BI Report Server. But I find some documents. Hope they could help you:

1. Capacity planning guidance for Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

This paper aims to offer guidance on capacity planning for Power BI Report Server by sharing results of numerous load test executions of various workloads against a report server. 

2. Configure Available Memory for Report Server Applications - SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) | M...

This article describes the configuration settings that you can specify and how the server responds when memory pressure becomes a factor in processing requests.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

It's hard to be sure, but we have 2 4-core servers in a scale out cluster with 128Gb of RAM servicing almost 2.5k users, but them most of our big data models are on SSAS so the report servers are mainly doing rendering with very little data processing and we could probably get away with half the RAM we have. So you could possibly get away with a 2-4 core server with 16-32Gb of RAM. If every one of your users was actively working a different large report (say a 1Gb pbix file) every day, then you may need more RAM, but in my experience from 80 users you would probably have 8-10 building reports and the rest just view them.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

The recommended minimums are documented here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/system-requirements but you would also want to factor in the number of reports and users you plan to support.

Hey,

I have around 70 to 80 users for Power BI report Server but there is no count of reports.

Can you suggest how much core/RAM should we use for 70 to 80 users ?

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.