Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dskrobowski
Helper I
Helper I

Prerequisites for ODBC Connections on Power BI Report Server

Hello, I'm seeking some clarification about what is required for establishing a connection with an ODBC data source in Report Server.

1. If I'm creating a system-level SQL data source (Microsoft SQL server driver) using Microsoft ODBC Data Source Administrator
  2. And then I create a PBIX and connect to my source with the ODBC connector
  3. And then I upload the PBIX to Report Server

Shouldn't I be able to establish/confirm my data source (via Manage -> Data sources) and refresh my report (via scheduled refresh) from Report Server, without needing to install and manage a gateway?

Assume that report server is installed in the same environment on which I've defined my ODBC data source (via ODBC Data Source Administrator).

Many thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Yes. You don't need gateway for Power BI Report Server.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Yes. You don't need gateway for Power BI Report Server.

Thanks for your quick reply!

I'm trying to figure out why I'm getting the error: ODBC: ERROR [IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified.

Do you have any ideas? I created the ODBC data source as a system data source using the 64 bit ODBC Administrator. Do you know if Report Server is 32 bit or 64 bit and if that changed since 2020?

Many thanks,

Thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.