Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

camathev
Regular Visitor

Powerbi report server custom authentication - Pass username to analysis services

Hello

we have Power Bi Report server with custom authentication forms. It works fine but we do not managed to transfer custom user to analysis services in order to filter data in the reports.

We tried to use UserId in customdata in data source as follow :

Data Source=XXXXXX;Initial Catalog=TabularBI;Cube=Modèle;;CustomData={{ UserID }}

But this always returns the windows login used to connect to analysis services and not the user used to connect to report server.

Is there a way to transfer our custom user to the analysis services ?

Best Regards

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @camathev,

Based on my research, we are not able to pass report server custom user to SSAS, as access the SSAS server requires Windows account.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-MSFT

Indeed we use a windows account to connect to SSAS datasource but we though there was a way to transfer te custom user in some way such as variable or somthing else. That's why we tried to use the UserId in customdata.

If this is not possible it means that it is impossible to use RLS with custom authentication ? So the solution is useless for us.

Best regards

CaMathev

Hi @camathev,

Hope you will recieve my message with good health. As you mentioned, you already have PowerBI Report Server with Custom Authentication working properly, I believe you followed following topic  https://github.com/Microsoft/Reporting-Services/tree/master/CustomSecuritySample

I am also trying to configure BI Report Server with this article, however I am facing Permission issue ('System.Data.SqlClient.SqlClientPermission) whenever press LOGIN or Register New User button. I have posted my question in this thread with detail and I will appreciate if you help me to resolve this issue.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Report-Server-Custom-Authentication/td-p/302549

Thanks,

M. Irfan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.