Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerBi update 2019 January Direct Query Error!!!!

Hi all,

We updated the Power BI Report Server with Jan'19 version and we are taking the direct query error. The reports open the Power BI Desktop (January 2019) with no issue. After we save as the Power BI report server, the reports don't open and below error code. Can you help me please?

An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again later.
Please try again or contact the support team.
If you contact the support team, please provide the following information.
We could not connect to the Analysis Services server.
Make sure that you have entered the connection string correctly.
Request ID2adcd766-b9e7-5a79-431e-bb80b4a54c04
TimeThu Jan 24 2019 12:48:25 GMT + 0300 (GMT + 03: 00)
Version 15.0.1102.222

Regards.

39 REPLIES 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

We have upgraded to the latest version with the bug fix, but we are still getting the error. In our case we have the Power BI report connected to a Hana source with Direct Query Mode, and basic authentication.

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Julieta.

hi Julieta,

Team has identified a bug here and we are working on fixing it. You can expect the fix to be released in the next few days. Thanks for reporting the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for the reply! Could you please inform once you have released the latest update? We are trying a workaround in the meantime .

Kind regards,

Julieta.

hi Julie,

We have pushed an update to the download site that fixes this issue with SAP Hana data source connected via DQ. Please get version 15.0.1102.299 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55329. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great news! Thank you so much.

Kind regards,

Julieta.

Hey, would you mind explaining to me what else has been added to this update? keen to know. Thanks!

It's primarily just this bug fix around SAP Hana data source for PBIX reports. Changelog will be published tomorrow and you can look it up at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/changelog

andrewpasquetti

Update has been released and it has resolved the direct query issue. Thanks Power BI team.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you guys!

BasicAuth with Direct query for external sources is working again, Thanks so much.

jrosalesgo
Frequent Visitor

But what happen when you are not able to change the way to login, I have the same report on Power BI Report Server Aug 2018 and Jan 2019 on Aug 2018 works fine and on Jan 2019 is not working at all, same server, bd, and credentials.

We have identified the issue here with Direct Query reports when using Basic Authentication and team is working on a fix. We expect to release it in next few days.

Apologies for this miss.

Dear,
I am writing from Chile, to tell you that we are using Power BI Report Server Version 1.4.7024.16477 (January 2019) to connect with Oracle, we are also using a direct query and basic authentication. And when trying to visualize the report through the web portal of Power BI, the system shows us the following message:

An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again later.
Please try again or contact the support team.
If you contact the support team, please provide the following information.
We could not connect to the Analysis Services server.
Make sure that you have entered the connection string correctly.
Application identifier b6b669e1-2b5d-2321-00c2-a69b129374db
HoraTue Apr 30 2019 10:32:04 GMT-0400 (Chile standard time)
Version 15.0.1102.299

regards

Eduardo

Hi compatriota,

Are you using a direct query to a data source and imported data to another one in your data model? 

if this is the case: 

PBIRS does not allow the module you have setup in your dashboard. Direct query and Imported data is a dual feature (Composite Models) it only exists in the cloud service for now. If you want to make it work, you will have to turn all data streams into "import mode" and then set scheduler on the properties of the dashboard inside the Report Server "Manage" section. 

If all your data is imported into the PBI file: Re-enter the credentials inside the PBI file by deleting your connection strings and re adding them in lowercase (Servername/InstanceName). Upload PBI file back to the Report Server and see if it works. 

Hope it helps. 

Marce

Good afternoon marce

Thanks for answering my question, you have an email to contact you.

regards

Eduardo

Buenas Tardes Marce

Gracias por responder a mi consulta, tienes algún email para poder contactarte.

Saludos

Eduardo

You can pm me. Cheers

Hey, when will you fix this plus cross filtering? two major screw-ups from this update.

hi,

We are getting ready to ship the fix for the DQ-Basic Auth issue. What is the cross filtering issue you are referring about? If there a community thread about that issue or can you please share more details about it?

Thanks,

Rohit

@rpatkar wrote:

hi,

We are getting ready to ship the fix for the DQ-Basic Auth issue. What is the cross filtering issue you are referring about? If there a community thread about that issue or can you please share more details about it?

Thanks,

Rohit

You can find a thread here, but there are others.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/can-not-Save-Report-to-power-bi-report-server-Jan-201...

I tried the new release (Only the Desktop was modified ?) and I still have the issue.

Edit : My bad, may be I didn't download the last server version.

So now I have it and no more issue with the cross filtering

Hey man, 

Did you have to download the whole PBIRS file from the microsoft site and reinstal it? I can't find an official site that tells of this update fix other than this humble post.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.