We updated the Power BI Report Server with Jan'19 version and we are taking the direct query error. The reports open the Power BI Desktop (January 2019) with no issue. After we save as the Power BI report server, the reports don't open and below error code. Can you help me please?
An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again later.
Please try again or contact the support team.
If you contact the support team, please provide the following information.
We could not connect to the Analysis Services server.
Make sure that you have entered the connection string correctly.
TimeThu Jan 24 2019 12:48:25 GMT + 0300 (GMT + 03: 00)
Yes, you need to download the PBIRS file from the download site and it will do an upgrade of the existing installation.
Thanks a lot for the prompt reply, from what I can read cross filtering has been fixed as well. Is there a place with a list of all what you've fixed on this release?
We are using Oracle and direct query so integrated windows auth is not really an option.
Is there an approximate timeline for the authentication fix?
Thank you @vvnck, using Windows authentication rather than basic authentication worked for my issue. I'd still like to see the issue fixed, but this is good workaround in my case. Thanks for posting.
Thank you! I changed the authentication method to an active directory user, with the necessary rights, to try out and it worked.
Is this common knowledge, that you should not use basic authentication with reports using directquery, or is this something new?
Has there been any response from the development team as yet?
It is quite urgent as all of our existing direct query reports on our PBRS are now broken.
Yes, that's an important point. We also checked our connection strings. Once the report has been published, I have re-entered the username and password for the connection, and tested it before saving. All worked well. However, loaded the Direct Query report, still fails.
I'm seeing the exact same issue. Local desktop reports work fine. The same report running in the Power BI Report Server service fails to connect when there is a Direct Query configuration. Any report that has Imported Data, works OK.
I've patched SQL 2016 with the latest CU 5 update, but the problem still exists. Hope the Power BI Team can release a fix for this as soon as possible.
Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group!
On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks
Check out how to claim yours today!