Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerBi update 2019 January Direct Query Error!!!!

Hi all,

We updated the Power BI Report Server with Jan'19 version and we are taking the direct query error. The reports open the Power BI Desktop (January 2019) with no issue. After we save as the Power BI report server, the reports don't open and below error code. Can you help me please?

An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again later.
Please try again or contact the support team.
If you contact the support team, please provide the following information.
We could not connect to the Analysis Services server.
Make sure that you have entered the connection string correctly.
Request ID2adcd766-b9e7-5a79-431e-bb80b4a54c04
TimeThu Jan 24 2019 12:48:25 GMT + 0300 (GMT + 03: 00)
Version 15.0.1102.222

Regards.

39 REPLIES 39

Yes, you need to download the PBIRS file from the download site and it will do an upgrade of the existing installation.

Thanks,

Rohit

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply, from what I can read cross filtering has been fixed as well. Is there a place with a list of all what you've fixed on this release?  

thanks

Thanks for confirming. Glad the issue is resolved now.
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are using Oracle and direct query so integrated windows auth is not really an option.

Is there an approximate timeline for the authentication fix?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your work guys!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Our Directquery reports fail, since we installed the updates.

2019-01-28_17h30_44.png2019-01-28_17h30_58.png2019-01-28_17h31_29.png

If your data direct query from SQL Server, the auth must use windows auth. if use basic auth will error.

Thank you @vvnck, using Windows authentication rather than basic authentication worked for my issue.  I'd still like to see the issue fixed, but this is good workaround in my case.  Thanks for posting.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I changed the authentication method to an active directory user, with the necessary rights, to try out and it worked.

Is this common knowledge, that you should not use basic authentication with reports using directquery, or is this something new?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Must be somehting new as we use SQL logins on some of our direct query reports

mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Thanks for reporting this, we'll investigate and update you shortly.

Hi All,

Has there been any response from the development team as yet?

It is quite urgent as all of our existing direct query reports on our PBRS are now broken.

Thanks

We have the same issue. The impact is severe.

Is any update forthcoming?

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are having exactly the same issue.  Hopefully there is an easy fix soon.  Please keep us updated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

By the way we sure that the all of our connection strings are true.

Thanks.

Yes, that's an important point.  We also checked our connection strings.  Once the report has been published, I have re-entered the username and password for the connection, and tested it before saving.  All worked well.  However, loaded the Direct Query report, still fails.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Completely the same steps and errors. I hope it will be solved as soon as possible.

jason_quinn
Advocate II
Advocate II

I'm seeing the exact same issue.  Local desktop reports work fine.  The same report running in the Power BI Report Server service fails to connect when there is a Direct Query configuration.  Any report that has Imported Data, works OK.

I've patched SQL 2016 with the latest CU 5 update, but the problem still exists.  Hope the Power BI Team can release a fix for this as soon as possible.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.