Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

danm
Helper I
Helper I

PowerBi server and Sql server reporting services 2016 on same server

Hi,

We have Sql server reporting services (2016) in use with couple reports.  Can we install on same server PowerBi Server and use both for a while until migrate to Power BI server ?

Thank you,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, once you remove that it should unblock your PBIRS installation.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If PBRS and SSRS are running in parallel on same server, is there any impct on performance of powwr BI reports?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried installing Power BI report server on the same SSRS box (2016) and when I launch SSRS, IT works file. But for PBI Report server, I see this. What step am i  missing?

sql01/ReportServerPBI - /

Friday, June 22, 2018 8:56 AM       105184 Encounter Balance Due Insurance

Microsoft Power BI Report Server Version 15.0.2.402

danm
Helper I
Helper I

Hi , I just try to install and I got the following message. Any suggestion ?

Microsoft power BI Report Server

(June 2017)

Setup blocked

The following issue blocked Setup

Installing this product when the January 2017 Reporting Services is currently installed is not supported. Uninstall the preview and the rerun this installer.

Thank you

Based on the error message it looks like you have the first preview of Reporting Services 2017 that we released back in January. Unfortunately there were a lot of changes in both setup and the product since then and it requires that you uninstall and reinstall the latest build. If you have anything in your catalog make sure you backup your encryption keys before uninstall the product. If you have SQL Server Reporting Services 2016 installed you don't have to uninstall it, the error is specific to the preview release.

And the version to uninstall is sql server reporting services 0.1.6214.16719 ? Thank you

Yes, once you remove that it should unblock your PBIRS installation.

I found this thread a little confusing. (from the title). The difference between installing PBIRS to replace SSRS vs Installing them side by side.

I've finally suceeded in installing SSRS and PBIRS side by side on the same machine. If anyone esle is trying to do that you can read about it here: https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/217741/ssrs-and-powerbi-report-server-on-same-server

Petebro
Employee
Employee

Power BI Report Server and SQL Server Reporting Services 2016 ARE able to be installed on the same server together. You can run them together while you migrate between them.

Also you are able to bring your catalog directly from SQL Server Reporting Services 2016 to Power BI Report Server. While the process is slightly different many of the steps are the same as the article found here: https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2692/migrating-sql-reporting-services-to-a-new-server-by-movi...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.