Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Arez2017
Helper I
Helper I

PowerBi on promise - Distributed environment

Hello Community, 

I want to install PBI on promise in a distributed environment. So, I have installed: 

- SQL server on server1 

-SSAS Tabular on server2 

-PowerBI Report Server on server3 

When connecting to my dashboard I got this error attached.

I dont want to configure Kerberos.

Is there any workarround please?

Many thanks!kerberos.PNG 

4 REPLIES 4
muchinski
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi, if you don’t want to configure Kerberos delegation, you will not be able to use the "As the user viewing the report" option on the data source.
To workaround this, just set a username and password on the connection of your reports. This user should be an AD user that have access to your SSAS database.

Capture.PNG

Hello

Thanks for your reply. However, if I will set credentials, I will loose all security roles set on SSAS cube 😞

Regards

You can use an user who is Admin on SSAS and check the option "Log in using these credentials, but then try to impersonate the user viewing the report"

This should keep all your roles working 🙂

(just a personal feedback here: I prefer to use Kerberos delegation)

I have checked the box to impersonate the person running the report. I can see in SQL Profiler that the EffectiveUserName is being passed to the tabular model but the tabular model is not passing that to the database for the query. Any tips on security in the tabular model connections for getting it to pass the EffectiveUserName to the database? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.