Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dobregon
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

PowerBI report Server initial doubts/license and Vs SSRS

Hi guys,

I have 2 types of reports (dynamics and paginated reports). For dynamics reports i have used PowerBi pro license and everything is in the PowerBI services and it is ok with a very complex dataset model but everthing is ok

The problem is in the paginated reports, as i know i have 2 options than i can do

• PowerBi report server --> This will be the best option becasue it can runs with powerBI service datasets and it is similar to use it. The problem is the cost. To use this i need to have (at least) one of these options:

- PowerBI premium : The cost is very expensive (minimum 4000€/month)
    - SQL entreprise edition: The cost is very expensive too and it is something that i dont have.

• SSRS: Tha it is a service with not much cost in my Azure SQL license. So, as I can only use SSRS, the best idea is to connect the SSRS to an PowerBI dataset but i think it is not possible, the other idea is to export the powerbidataset and import to analysis services and then automatize the scheduled refresh in Azure (that it is more complex).

Or maybe i'm wrong and it is more easy to use the powerbi report server (without the big cost) and i can use and share with the powerbi pro license.

Can someone help me on this?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@dobregon wrote:

i'm asking if someone is using powerbi report server with pro users or without any of this option. 

You cannot legally use Power BI Report Server without either licensing it through a premium capacity or SQL Server Enterpise with Software Assurance.

So if Premium and SQL Enterprise are too expense then Power BI Report Server is not an option for you and the only Microsoft option left for you is SSRS which is more of a developer experience and not really a self-service reporting platform like Power BI.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@dobregon wrote:

This will be the best option becasue it can runs with powerBI service datasets and it is similar to use it.

This statement is not correct. If you check the documentation here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources Power BI Service datasets are not a supported data source for Power BI Report Server and I believe the same limitation applies to SSRS (unless you are connecting to a premium workspace, but if you could afford premium you could just host your reports there too).

The other option if you don't need to have your paginated reports run on demand (ie. if you can export the output to PDF or send the reports via email) is to look at a solution like the following where you start/pause an embedded A sku https://whitepages.unlimitedviz.com/2019/11/a-low-cost-approach-for-paginated-report-subscriptions-i... 

dobregon
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

thanks for the reply @d_gosbell 

Yes you are right in the first point, but maybe it is more easy to replicate or import my dataset model in desktop to the powerbi report server. The problem here is the pricing in power bi report server, the embebed option is too expensive, the premium more expensive and the sql entreprise too.

i'm asking if someone is using powerbi report server with pro users or without any of this option. In reality we want to have the report server to print as pdf or excel the files, not sending by email automatically (for the moment). From now, the only thing with low cost is the SSRS but it is very hard work to do a model and configure reports in that. (tedious) 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)

@dobregon wrote:

i'm asking if someone is using powerbi report server with pro users or without any of this option. 

You cannot legally use Power BI Report Server without either licensing it through a premium capacity or SQL Server Enterpise with Software Assurance.

So if Premium and SQL Enterprise are too expense then Power BI Report Server is not an option for you and the only Microsoft option left for you is SSRS which is more of a developer experience and not really a self-service reporting platform like Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.