Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mgcap12

PowerBI Reporting Services - Editions?

Fellow PowerBI users

I am going to be installing PowerBi reporting services. I have software assurance

1 -  When you download it, is there different versions like SQL (Standard, Edition)?

2 -  Do they have a developer version that does not require a license - one that last longer than 180 days?

thanks,

MG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mjbernier
Helper I
Helper I

There's only one version of PBI Report Server. Microsoft releases updates every few months that include all the updates that were implemented between releases, and the next one is due out sometime in January. It does, however, require SQL Enterprise Edition (not Standard) to install it. SA customers can get the PBIRS license key by going to the Volume License Service Center and pulling up the record for the SQL Server's license.

Regarding trial editions, there is a link on their Report Server page to sign up for a free trial of some sort, but we didn't go that route since we already had the SQL license.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mjbernier
Helper I
Helper I

There's only one version of PBI Report Server. Microsoft releases updates every few months that include all the updates that were implemented between releases, and the next one is due out sometime in January. It does, however, require SQL Enterprise Edition (not Standard) to install it. SA customers can get the PBIRS license key by going to the Volume License Service Center and pulling up the record for the SQL Server's license.

Regarding trial editions, there is a link on their Report Server page to sign up for a free trial of some sort, but we didn't go that route since we already had the SQL license.

Hi mjbernier

Thanks.

1 - So this means that this will be considered as a SQL Enterprise License?

2 - You do not have to install SQL Enterprise as well do you?

mg

PBI Report Server requires SQL Server to run because that is where its reporting database is managed. You can use either SQL Standard or SQL Enterprise for that database; however, PBI Report Server requires its own license key separate from the license key for SQL Server. The only ways to obtain one are by either having a license for SQL Enterprise with SA or through a Power BI Premium subscription. Hope that helps.

Thanks mjBernier,

Yes, I knew that it would need SQL for its db, and what I usually do is put that on a failover cluster. I was just curious if this needed something else on the pwoer bi ssrs box sql related. obviously, it does not. So, I am good to go.

Thanks again,

MG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.