Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rajaniesh
Helper II
Helper II

PowerBI Report server integration with OPENID connect

Hi,

I want to deply PowerBI Report server in our OnPrem environement and use it a de facto Reporting platform. We do not use Active Directory but we use SSO (OpenID Connect based SSO). Now I am wondering how do I deploy PowerBI Report server in our environment.

This article from Microsoft: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/security/authentication-with-the-report-serv... clearly states that SSO is not supported by PowerBI but states that

"The report server hosting environment does not support ISAPI filters. If the SSO technology you are using is implemented as an ISAPI filter, consider using the ISA Server built-in support for RSASecueID or the RADIUS protocol. Otherwise, you can create an ISA Server ISAPI or an HTTPModule for RS, but it is recommended you use ISA Server directly."  How do we use this option?

Another point from the article states that :

"Specify Custom only if you are deploying a custom authentication module that handles all authentication requests on the report server. You cannot use the Custom authentication type with the default Windows Authentication extension." Do we have custom security handler sample for this purpose?

Another option I was thinking of to use  ADFS but not sure if ADFS will work with Report server.? I am thinking Active Directory -->ADFS which federates to OpenID connect based Auth. Do we have any documentation regarding this?

Regards
Rajaniesh

3 REPLIES 3
luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

You should create your own authentication provider -  We did that to manage SSO -  We did that a while ago and had to modify for PBI RS - it works and you can front end authentication as well as manage authorization if you needed to set those policies in SSRS as users log in.   MSFT has since provided a sample specific for PBI RS.    Here is the link https://github.com/Microsoft/Reporting-Services/tree/master/CustomSecuritySample

good luck.

Luis

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank YOU so much for a quick reply.Do you have some sample which works with openId connect.
I have one more question. Do we require ADFS to implement it or we just have to create custom extension and that is it.
luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I don't believe there is a sample and I don't have one.   You don't need to use ADFS for your solution.   The auth provider you write would be managing all of that.   This sample should give you enough to go on.   If I find an OpenID implementation,  I will post here.    This code should be able to give you a good idea of how to implement.

thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.