Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerBI Report server and analysis service

Hello,

Is there a need to install  analysis service feature when deploying PowerBI Report server?

We are planning to deploy a seperate database instance and powerbi report server but i can't find out if we need to install the analysis service feature when installing the database instance.

I've hear this might be needed for direct query but can't really find out how this precisely works. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
andris
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi.

Analysis Services are not mandatory, Power BI Report Server can run without Analysis Services.

Direct Query works on database tables too.

So, if you don't plan to use Analysis Services, you can run Report Server without them.

Regards

Andris

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
andris
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi.

Analysis Services are not mandatory, Power BI Report Server can run without Analysis Services.

Direct Query works on database tables too.

So, if you don't plan to use Analysis Services, you can run Report Server without them.

Regards

Andris

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thus there is no need to have the analysis service feature for both scheduled refresh or direct query?

No. Those features don't need Analysis Services.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.