Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ramonivandy
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI Report Server Schedule Refresh status Refreshing Forever

I have schedule refresh every 1 minute. When I use Refresh Now, the status changing to Refreshing. After waiting for a hour, the data not updated and the status keep refreshing forever. 

powerbi refreshing forever.PNG

Searching for error message but found nothing, any advice? 

4 REPLIES 4
Anhsang84
Regular Visitor

Hi, I met the same problem.

So, what is the root cause of this issue?

Who knows the answer please share it with me.

Thanks

josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I don't recommends schedule refresh every 1 minute, I recommend 5min at least, or use direct query.

But for check state of refresh, lookup in to table SubscriptionHistory (and related tables Subscriptions, Schedule and ReportSchedule) on MSSQL ReportServer database. Or use rest api to check refresh state.

Hi @josef78 

PowerBI RS did not support Direct Query to PostgreSQL for now, so I need to refresh every 1 minute to get real-time data. 

I found a similar question and solved it by scaling out the server. Is scaling out the server the only way to solve this?

Yes, independly on this topic, for production deployment (except very small deployment) I can recommend scale-out deployment, and additionally setup role for each server, if it is front end server or it is background processing server.

But back to your problem... simulate realtime/direct access by procesing tabular model every minute, I think is not good way. I'm not sure, but very short bias will be problematic (due async start from sql agent schedule). You can try set 5min interval, and after try lower to 4,3,2,1 minute, and check reliability. But better way should be move to SSAS model, where you have much better control above processing (including different processing modes), and maybe direct query support (I'm not sure for progressql or odbc sources).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.