Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lmoranian
Regular Visitor

PowerBI Report Server Report Refresh

Hi,

Is there a way for reports on the web page associated with SSRSPBI to refresh the data?  I have reports using direct query and import and have scheduled refresh on the web page.  The refresh button on the report page is javascriptvoid(0).

Is there a way to keep the data up to date?  We are pulling from a data warehouse so a daily refresh is all that is needed.

If there is not a way to refresh the data what is the point of the web page?

Thanks

Lynne Moranian

6 REPLIES 6
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lmoranian ,

Sorry I didn't notice you mention that you used directquery.

Not all Power BI Reports can have a scheduled refresh plan created on them. The following is a list of Power BI Reports that you Can't create a scheduled refresh plan.

• Your report contains one or more Analysis Services data sources, which use a live connection.
  • Your report contains one or more data sources, which use DirectQuery.
  • Your report does not contain any data source. For example, data is manually entered via Enter Data or a report contains only static content like images, text, etc.
  • Your report contains dynamic data sources. For example, data from the report is used to dynamicaly build the name of a server, the name of a database, or a URL address to fetch contents. Only data sources that are detected when the report was uploaded can be refreshed.

For more you can refer to:

Power BI report scheduled refresh in Power BI Report Server 

If you insist on doing so, we recommend using Power BI Desktop & Power BI Service instead of Report Server.

Data refresh in Power BI 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Caitlyn,

Thank you.  Is there a difference between direct query and import?  You get to both options the same way.  The text you provided looks like it comes from the documentation.  I guess my problem is I don't understand exactly how the data needs to be set up for the refresh to work.

Thanks

Lynne

Hi @lmoranian ,

Import Connection – Import Data Connectivity mode lets you import data into Power BI cache. Highly recommended to use Import connection when the data size is less than 1 GB and the data is not continually changing. You can import data with schedule refresh to get the latest data. With Import connection, you can take full advantages of the high-performance query engine.

DirectQuery – DirectQuery Connectivity mode lets you connect directly to data. DirectQuery mode used to build Real-time or near real-time BI solutions when the data is changing frequently, and Data volume is very large. No data will be imported into Power BI. Instead Power BI will send queries to the data source upon building visual/interacting with visuals. Each query is restricted to return less than or equal to 1 Million rows.

For more information,you may refer to :

Power BI Tips: Import vs Direct Query 

Dataset modes in the Power BI service 

About using DirectQuery in Power BI 

Best Regards,

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lmoranian ,

To refresh data in your Power BI report in Power BI Report Server, you must create a scheduled refresh plan.

You need the necessary permissions to create a scheduled refresh plan. Permissions are defined in the role definitions for the report server. See Role definitions - predefined roles in the SQL Server Reporting Services documentation for details.

Prior to creating a schedule data refresh plan, you need to set the credentials for each data source used in your Power BI report.

Then you can follow these steps to create a scheduled refresh plan.

1. In the web portal, right-click on the Power BI report and select Manage.

2. In the left menu, select the Scheduled refresh tab.

3. On the Scheduled refresh page, select New scheduled refresh plan.

4. On the New Scheduled Refresh Plan page, enter a description and set a schedule for when you want your data model to be refreshed.

5. Select Create scheduled refresh plan when done.

For more,you can refer to :How to configure Power BI report scheduled refresh 

Also,you may check this thread :Scheduled Refresh with Web Source Not Working 

Best Regards,

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

We have a couple of scheduled refreshes set up and the credentials are there, but the report is not refreshing.  We have two versions on the report server, one using import and one using direct query.

Is the DirectQuery report not displaying the updated data ?  The way I understand it, DirectQuery data sets pull in the latest data every time you open the report, no refresh needed.

For the report using Import, what type of credentials have you supplied for running the refresh ?  A SQL account, or a Windows Account ?  And if a Windows Account, I'm not 100% certain but I imagine the service account running the Power BI service must be able to delegate to the account trying to perform the data refresh.  If they are one in the same, totally clueless.  

If you check logs on your target SQL server, do you see anything about failed logins etc. ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.