Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

billvoorhees22
Regular Visitor

PowerBI Report Server Costs

Hi, I have seen LOTS of discussions on the topic of PowerBI Report Server Costs;  What I need to zero in on is:  "Power BI Report Server is available through Power BI Premium or as a Software Assurance (SA) benefit for customers with active SQL Server EE with SA licenses. Contact your Microsoft representative for more information"  I take this to mean:  IF you have SQL Server EE and SA you get Power BI Report Server-I just don't see what the add on costs are if any.  Also, I have setup the Power BI Report Server and I can publish straight to it;  I understand the free version is supposed to block this...does this mean "in use" I'm really a Pro User?  One final question:  Must the Power BI Report Server run on the same server as EE?

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If you have SQL EE with SA then you own PBRS. Since publishing to PBRS is a Desktop function, there is no licensing restriction enforced. However, to be compliant, you need to have a Pro license to publish to PBRS. Free users can view reports but are technically not permitted to publish.

Not sure about your last question. Because of the way that SQL Server is licensed per core and such these days, I'd expect that it is technically supposed to be on the same server...?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

In our world...the EE server installation is like the living room that one can view but not uttilize (White carpet and all)  Therefore, our reporting server is on another installation that gets day old data for reporting or second tier application storage...so my hope, dream, goal, etc is the Reporting Server Installation can exist just on another licenesed corporate location.  (All that said:  There are ZERO costs with EE?  Must it be the current version or does it start at 20xx?)

There is a minimum version for running Power BI Report Server but my understanding is that as long as you own a version of EE that has SA that you can run Power BI Report Server. As for the same box or a different box, I don't have the answer to that question. I could argue it both ways but someone from Microsoft is going to have to chime in here.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Great points...thanks for the knowlege...Anyone from Microsoft willing to respond?  (Bueller?  Bueller?)

You need to have available cores with your SQL agreement available, but if you do, then you can install it on a machine or machine(s) with those number of cores.  So it isnt free - your company needs an active agreement in place and the number of cores available.  Microsoft usually goes through each year with Enterprise customers and does a “true-up” where it’ll count the cores in use.  If you have more cores in use than in your agreement, your company pays the difference.

Chris

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors