Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerBI Report Builder - using PowerBI Model connected to Redshift

I'm trying to use PowerBI Report Builder against a PowerBI BI Dataset Connection , where the PowerBI model is using  Amazon Redshift as the datasource. 

I have tried following the instructions found here to set up the report in Report Builder,"docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-builder-shared-datasets#what-you-need" 

I successfully create the PowerBI  model and created the query and copied it into Report Builder , the query that get generated is incorrect as there is no From Clause, 

// DAX Query

EVALUATE

TOPN(

SUMMARIZE(

'CAPA_Master',

'CAPA_Master'[Capa_Number],

'CAPA_Master'[Capa_Description],

'CAPA_Master'[Capa_Title],

'CAPA_Master'[Capa_Scope]

),

'CAPA_Master'[Capa_Scope],

)

ORDER BY

'CAPA_Master'[Capa_Scope]

I added the from Clause   "From Model"  which now gives the following error ,which leads me to believe that I can't use Amazon Redsift as the underlying data source .  

{"error":{"code":"DMTS_DatasourceHasNoCredentialError","pbi.error":{"code":"DMTS_DatasourceHasNoCredentialError","details":[{"code":"Url","detail":{"type":1,"value":"AmazonRedshift"}},{"code":"ConnectionType","detail":{"type":0,"value":"Extension"}}],"exceptionCulprit":1}}} (Microsoft Analysis Services)

Any help would be appreciated

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

the query that get generated is incorrect as there is no From Clause, 

The query that you have posted is a DAX query. The DAX language does not have the concept of a "From" clause. I can't even think where you could insert one without it throwing a syntax error.

Did you make sure that the query editor in report builder was in DAX mode? The other mode it supports is MDX and that language does have a FROM clause, but you can't really mix and match DAX and MDX.

I think if you make sure the query editor is using DAX that the original query you posted should work fine.

201911 report builder query mode.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.