Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

WCONGRAVE
Advocate I
Advocate I

PowerBI Paginated Reports - URL Parameters

Hi

Is it possible to pass parameters into a PowerBI Paginated report via the URL? 

I'm looking to direct users to a Paginated Report from an Interactive report, passing across details such as account number, time period etc... to stop them having to re-select.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Since this forum is focused on the on-prem Power BI Report Server product I had assumed that you were asking about that (which is what the links I posted relate to).

As far as I am aware this is not yet supported on the Power BI service, but I have my fingers crossed that this will be added soon as it's a fairly important feature that a lot of people would use. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
chrisfin
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Hi @chrisfin  I saw this a few days ago and started plating around, but I have another question now. I have to have an account with permissions to see the report so I need to manually log into PowerBI to actually see the report and download the pdf. I am trying to execute the pdf from another program but I'm not sure if this is possible (if I haven't logged in earlier). I can't find anything related to authentication parameters or request body for paginated reports with parameters. Can you shed some light on this please? Thanks!

You'll still need to login currently - the Power BI embedded team is actively working on support for paginated reports for PaaS scenarios, including more robust public API support and would support this parameter pattern as part of that, so at that time there should be a way to handle scenarios like you describe.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Yes you can, the wat to do this is using the following technique https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/pass-a-report-parameter-within-a-url?view=sq...

There are a lot of other things you can control with url parameters including things like the render format so that you can link directly to a PDF or some other file format see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/url-access-parameter-reference?view=sql-serv...

Hi 

Thanks for your reply. I did try this with a paginated report but kept getting the parameter prompt coming up empty. 

This is the syntax I've used

https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/apps/XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX/rdlreports/XXXXXX-XXXXXX-X...

where my parameter is called param_PHC

If you have an example of it working, that would be a huge help. I tried the same thing as WCONGRAVE without success.

Since this forum is focused on the on-prem Power BI Report Server product I had assumed that you were asking about that (which is what the links I posted relate to).

As far as I am aware this is not yet supported on the Power BI service, but I have my fingers crossed that this will be added soon as it's a fairly important feature that a lot of people would use. 

Hi @d_gosbell 

Sorry about the wrong forum - I misread the title to say Service not Server!

I'll stop trying to get this working until I hear further news! Will be a big boost when they do release it.

@WCONGRAVE wrote:

Sorry about the wrong forum - I misread the title to say Service not Server!

That's OK. With Microsoft calling them Server and Service it happens quite frequently 🙂 It's not a big deal, it just meant a little extra back and forth was required to get to an answer

Thanks for the response.  I'll need to go up-vote that request 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.