Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

swinings
Helper I
Helper I

PowerBI Forecasting Report

Good Afternoon!

I am trying to make a forecasting page(s) for a provider. I can easily do forecasting in a line chart. I'm more curious if it is possible make something like this that I made in Excel:

swinings_0-1629232158343.png

I linked this to our forecasting tool. We have individuals who can estimate how many people are going to receive a specific service. By entering in the first 4 columns and the second to last, it will give an additional total. This total is then added to a larger projection tool:

swinings_1-1629232304626.png

This tool lets users manipulate the data to see how it would impact finances if they sold X amount of units of a service. They also have the ability to see what would happen if they increased services by a specific percent.

Is this even possible to do in PowerBI? I know PBI is more of a visualization tool, but I figured I would check before giving them an answer.

Thanks,

Shannon

3 REPLIES 3
AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Apart from the built in line chart analytics for forecast you may build up a ML model on power BI service and apply that to your dataset. This would though need you to have a premium per user or premium capacity.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-tutorial-build-machine-learning-model

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@swinings You can use a What If parameter to help with this. 

Sorry, having trouble following, can you post sample data as text and expected output?
Not really enough information to go on, please first check if your issue is a common issue listed here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Before-You-Post-Read-This/ba-p/1116882

Also, please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

The most important parts are:
1. Sample data as text, use the table tool in the editing bar
2. Expected output from sample data
3. Explanation in words of how to get from 1. to 2.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Apologies for not getting back sooner. I got detoured by some other projects.

The what-if function is amazing and I wish I knew about it sooner. That is going to work for most of it.

Now, however, I am looking to multiply my filtered value by the what-if parameter. I know I will need a new measure, but I'm unsure the DAX formula.

I.e. 

swinings_0-1629993463020.png

Total Amount/New Measure = (chosen rate/filter) * ((Number of Days/Weeks/Months * Number of Units Per Day/Week/Month) * Number of People Receiving Service)

I'm looking for the first part of the DAX code.

Is this even possible? Or do I have to separate all my rates into individual measures? I was hoping I could do this filtering so that peope can choose the rate.

The goal would then to put in multiple of these like the excel sheet, then add in all the final new measures to our data.

Thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors