Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ganeshharan81
Frequent Visitor

Power bi report server upload issue

Power bi report server upload issue.

I have a Jan 2020 on prem report server (not power bi as a service) and June 2020 power bi dektop file.

I am not able to upload the dektop file onto the on prem server.

i get the below error

"We're not able to upload this report. The report was created with a recent version of Power BI Desktop that is not yet supported by this server"

a) Is there any work around for the upload?

b) is upgrading the report server the only option?if yes which version should i upgrade it to?

c) Where can i get the compatibility of power bi report servers  and power bi desktop file versions that can be uploaded.?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@ganeshharan81 wrote:

Not really, newer versions of Power BI Desktop have features which older versions of the server will not know about. The only real solution is to re-build the report in the version of Power BI Desktop that matches your Power BI Report Server.

b) is upgrading the report server the only option?if yes which version should i upgrade it to?

No this is not an option. Power BI Report Server is released every 4 months, the latest release is May 2020, so it still would not understand an June 2020 file. The next release is due in Sept 2020.

c) Where can i get the compatibility of power bi report servers  and power bi desktop file versions that can be uploaded.?

It's pretty simple, you need to use a version of Power BI Desktop that is the same month or older. But you should also make sure to use the version of Power BI Desktop that is optimized for Report Server, this version has any features that are not supported by Power BI Report Server switched off (such as preview features) Using this version should ensure that you cannot build a report that will not upload. And if you need to deploy some things to the Power BI service and others to Power BI Report Server that is fine as you can have both the cloud version and the report server version of Power BI Desktop installed at the same time.

In the top right of your Power BI Report Server portal is a download arrow. If you click on this there will be a link to download the version of Power BI Desktop which you should be using with that portal. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@ganeshharan81 wrote:

Not really, newer versions of Power BI Desktop have features which older versions of the server will not know about. The only real solution is to re-build the report in the version of Power BI Desktop that matches your Power BI Report Server.

No this is not an option. Power BI Report Server is released every 4 months, the latest release is May 2020, so it still would not understand an June 2020 file. The next release is due in Sept 2020.

It's pretty simple, you need to use a version of Power BI Desktop that is the same month or older. But you should also make sure to use the version of Power BI Desktop that is optimized for Report Server, this version has any features that are not supported by Power BI Report Server switched off (such as preview features) Using this version should ensure that you cannot build a report that will not upload. And if you need to deploy some things to the Power BI service and others to Power BI Report Server that is fine as you can have both the cloud version and the report server version of Power BI Desktop installed at the same time.

In the top right of your Power BI Report Server portal is a download arrow. If you click on this there will be a link to download the version of Power BI Desktop which you should be using with that portal. 

KBO
MVP

Hi @ganeshharan81 ,

that could be a little bit tricky. 

You can copy and paste the content of the report from June 2020 (Power BI Cloud Desktop) to the Jan2020 (Power BI Report Server Desktop).

Or you can update your Report Server to May2020 and try to open the Report there. But update first the Report Server otherwise you wont be able to upload the report to the Report Server.

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hi @KBO ,

have you ever tried to change the version number within the file?

PBIX_Version.png

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

I tried changing the version to 1.15,but it says file is corrupt because of change to one of the files

Hi @ganeshharan81 , do you have a backup file? You should try Luke I mentioned before ;).

Best, 

Kathrin 

Hi @mwegener ,

that would be a nice idea if you want to change the version in for example only Power BI Desktop Cloud Client. But in this case you must use the Power BI Desktop for the Report Server. Also it is no good idea to downgrade a version, look at this community post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Pbix-file-version-change-from-1-12-to-1-15/td-p/520442

It can damage your file.

Best,

Kathrin

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ganeshharan81 

You need to use Power BI Desktop RS Edition to create a report for on-prem report server

You can download it here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56722

So, open your report with this build and upload to RS

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.