Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Bi Scheduled Refresh Time Out

Hi guys, I am new to Power Bi and require some help on it. I have created a new Power Bi file where it is reading excel files from SharePoint. The dashboard has been published to web using my PowerBi Pro license and scheduled daily refresh has been implemented as new files will be added to the SharePoint on a daily basis. 

Recently in my refresh, i notice that my dashboard has been experiecing Time Out issues when it refreshes for more than 120 minutes. Are there any ways to increase the time out duration to 180 minutues instead?

Much help will be needed.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @Anonymous 

You can reduce the file size from the following ideas:

Optimize the data model,relationship,dax formula.

Reduce the data source data, clean unused data regularly.

Only import the columns you need.

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

It’s my pleasure to answer for you.

According to your description, You can refresh successfully before, but you have refresh timeout problems recently, right?Is your file size increasing every day? You can try to control the file size to avoid refresh timeout, if not, you may need to upgrade to a premium licence.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Janey,

Thank you for the reply. 

Yes, you are right. Only recently the timeout issue occur as the file size will increase daily. How would you recommend for me to control the file size?

The premium license is too pricey for me at this stage. Will there be an alternative solution to it?

Regards,

Jacky

Hi, @Anonymous 

You can reduce the file size from the following ideas:

Optimize the data model,relationship,dax formula.

Reduce the data source data, clean unused data regularly.

Only import the columns you need.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Do you know which part of your process causes the long duration?  In Power Query you can do query performance diagnostics to see which part takes the longest.

How big are your Excel files?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, i think i know which part of the process causing the long duration, it will be due to pivot and unpivot of data to do some calculation. 

I have about 1 file of 80 MB which uses the process above and about 20 files of 60MB which is just direct read of from SharePoint

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.