Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gregboothdelt
Helper I
Helper I

Power Bi Report Server and Amazon Redshift

We are using a power BI report server for internal comsumption of reports.

We have a new data source in Amazon Redshift. We are planning to write reports with redshift as the data source and deploy them to our on-premise report server.

However, looking at the page 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources this says that 

"Some data sources are available in Power BI Desktop for Power BI Report Server, but aren't supported when published to Power BI Report Server". In the list of supported data sources, it says that Amazon Redshift is supported for "Cached Data", but not for Scheduled Refresh and Live/Direct Query.

What does "Cached Data" mean ? Is it the data in the report from when you last refrehed it in power bi desktop only ? i.e. when you upload the report to the report sever, is there then no way to refresh the data ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@gregboothdelt wrote:

What does "Cached Data" mean ? Is it the data in the report from when you last refrehed it in power bi desktop only 

Yes, this is exactly what this means - "the data in the report from when you last refrehed it in power bi desktop only"

@gregboothdelt wrote:

i.e. when you upload the report to the report sever, is there then no way to refresh the data ?

This is correct. The only way to refresh the data is to manually refresh it in Desktop then re-upload it to Report Server.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@gregboothdelt wrote:

What does "Cached Data" mean ? Is it the data in the report from when you last refrehed it in power bi desktop only 

Yes, this is exactly what this means - "the data in the report from when you last refrehed it in power bi desktop only"

@gregboothdelt wrote:

i.e. when you upload the report to the report sever, is there then no way to refresh the data ?

This is correct. The only way to refresh the data is to manually refresh it in Desktop then re-upload it to Report Server.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.