Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KSN

Power Bi Report Server: Custom Text Filter visual 401 error forms authentication on chrome browser

Hi,

I am using Custom Text filter Visual in one of the report and hosted on Power Bi Report Server. Custom Control is working fine in Internet Explorer Edge  and failed to load in Chrome with the following errors while loading Javascript files.

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 401 (Unauthorized) visualSandbox.externals.js:1

We tried enabling Access-Control-Allow-Origin on report server config and web.config and even in Report Server database in the configuration table. but no luck. 

Using the Power BI Report Server version -  October 2019 release .

Any suggestions please

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same problem here, found any solution?

Are you using Custom Authentication to access the reports?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes i made my own version of custom authentication and when i open a report with custom visuals, i see many 401 messages in the chrome debug console. If i open a report with no custom visuals it works without problem.

Report = PBI Report, not paginated reports.

PS: My PBIRS version is Jan 2020

The issue is mainly when using Custom Authentication. You will not see this issue with AD authentication.

The solution that worked for me is as below. I have added an attribute cookieSameSite="None" to the forms tag as shown below. 

<forms loginUrl="logon.aspx" name="sqlAuthCookie" timeout="60" path="/" cookieSameSite="None"></forms>

Let me know if the issue is resolved after doing the above mentioned change and Accept it as a Solution.

Only way I was able to get this to work was setting this to disabled: chrome://flags/#same-site-by-default-cookies

I'd rather not ask all my users to do that, am I missing a step after editing the web.config file?

Can you provide a little more detail on how you resolved this? Not sure where to find that forms tag that you mentioned.

I seem to have the same problem, I am using report server with custom auth and it seems that all custom visuals do not work in chrome, despite working in all other browsers (Mozilla / Safari / Edge).  Just about all of my users are using chrome and I want this to work for them.

Appreciate any guidance you can proivde @KSN 

Edit: Ok i found the tag in web.config.. made the edit and restarted the server.. still get the same 401 errors as described in orignal post.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I resolved the issue using https.

Thanks for your help 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.