Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sarahryan

Power BI server configuration errors

Running SQL 2016 and trying to configure Power BI Server (have SSRS on same db instance).

If I try to create a new database I get this error: 

Microsoft.ReportingServices.WmiProvider.WMIProviderException: An error occurred when attempting to connect to the report server remote procedure call (RPC) end point. Verify that the Report Server Windows service is running, and then retry the operation.

---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The RPC server is not listening. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706B3)

If I connect to an existing database I can configure but get this error trying to view web portal - Service Unavailable

HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.

Also the options for backup/change encryption keys are greyed out.  Deleting the encrption via config mgr gives me same error as trying to create database.  Manually deleting data using sproc in db has no effect.

Please help, it's driving me nuts!  I need a working demo as POC in order to purchase but can't get past the first hurdle...

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sarahryan,

Is the Power BI report server installed on the same machine SSRS running? 

Regarding the error when you create a database, please follow this article to check if some thing missed: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/install-windows/ssrs-report-server-create-a-...

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes, Power BI and SSRS on same box.

After I couldn't get Power BI to create a new db due to the error mentioned I uninstalled it and then tried the below steps

I set up an additional SSRS isntance called $PBIRS, orig called $SSRS, both installed on the same db instance.  Both of these were correctly setup and configured via RS Config Mgr & the \Report & \ReportServer URLs worked as expected.

For $PBIRS I backed up the encryption key & then used the reportserverPBIRS & reportserverPBIRStempdb databases as the existing databases when I resintalled and tried to setup PowerBI again using Power BI Config Mgr.

Now I can't restore/remove the encryption key (change/restore options greyed out) and the URLs don't work.  And it still won't let me create a fresh reportserver db.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors