Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI schedule refresh fails in Power BI report Server

Hi All,

I am struggling with a powerBI report which pulls data via import from various online sites,sharepoint and DB. It works fine in PowerBI Desktop and refreshs correctly. When it is uploaded to PowerBIReport server, it throws the follwing error .

SessionID: 16026bb5-eeb0-499b-9ec6-d1538fadfcfa
[0] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource.
[1] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

This report has around 15 SharePoint data sources. The authentication type is windows and a valid windows user name and password have been entered. When I click on "Test Connection" both are successful.

Everything is set up properly in the report. In Power Query, looking at the permissions in Data Source settings the credential type is Windows. We are able to refresh the report within Power BI Desktop. Since becoming aware of this issue the workaround has been to manually refresh the report in Power BI Desktop and then upload it to Power BI Report Server.

I am looking for advice on how to get the automatic scheduled refresh working again and suggestions or solutions would be most appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

3 REPLIES 3
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous  Any updates?

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If problem still persists, pls let me know.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Janey

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Please refer to @Petebro  's comments first.

If you can try to use the latest version: Download Microsoft Power BI Report Server- September 2021 from Official Microsoft Download Center

You can also try the steps to see if it can solve the problem:

1. Download the PBI report (PBIX file) from the PBIRS portal 
  2. Upload the PBI report (PBIX file) back to the PBIRS portal and overwrite the original (there is no need to open the PBIX file in PBI Desktop) 
  3. Retest the scheduled refresh 

Option 2: 

1. In PBI Desktop Oct 2020, open every report query and data source 
  2. Change the connection information to all lowercase 
  3. Save the report and republish to PBIRS 

Option 3: 

1. Before the PBIX file is upgraded to the new format in the October 2020 version of PBI Desktop (Optimized for PBIRS), a backup copy is saved in the AppData folder: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop SSRS\TempSaves\Backups 
  2. Open PBI Desktop and turn off the Enhanced Metadata option. Go to File -> Options and settings -> Options -> Global-Preview features -> then uncheck the option: 

vjaneygmsft_0-1632986439382.jpeg

1. Restart Power BI Desktop 
  2. Reopen the backup PBIX file 
  3. You should be able to use this version of the report and publish it to the PBIRS server. It is the v1 model and the same format as in May 2020 PBIRS. 

These are all workarounds for the same type of problem in the past.

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Janey

Petebro
Employee
Employee

We will investigate this issue, but just making sure you aren't pulling from SharePoint online and are pulling from a SharePoint folder or list on-premises. That is just making sure you fall into the supported scenario listed here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources

Assuming the answer is yes we will try to reproduce this failure.

Also would it be possible to help narrow the investigation down a bit. Can you create several reports (one for each datasource in this main report). For each of these reports just add one datasource and try to upload it to Power BI Report Server and schedule a refresh to narrow down which of the data sources is causing the above error. Also this information may already be listed in your Power BI Report Server log files depending on the level of logging you have enabled.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.