Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mpesara
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI report server configuration issue

Trying to configure report server to use database engine form sql server 2017 express and eval .

Throws the following error

"The Database engine instance you selected is not valid for this edition of report server"

Tried installing on different machines with windows 10 and windows server 12 R2 . used sql 2017 express , 2016 express , and 2017 evaluation.

Using power bi premium key to install the report server. 

Worked on one VM with windows 10 and sql 2017 express . The setup setup did not work in three other machines.

The test connection works in all the cases.

Thanks in advance. image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

If your using a Power BI Premium Key to install your report server you can only connect to paid SKUs of SQL Server DB which would be Standard and above; express, developer and eval are not supported.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

If your using a Power BI Premium Key to install your report server you can only connect to paid SKUs of SQL Server DB which would be Standard and above; express, developer and eval are not supported.

yes, it worked without the license key! Thanks for all the help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah okay, this is for me new - thanks. So you can try to install the eval from the PBI RS to install.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You must use a SQL Server standard edition or higher. The report server needs a SQL Server agent,  and a express doesn't has this feature.  On a Report Server without Power Bi is an deployment on a express edition possible. The documentation in on this point not very clear and helpful. 

I installed standered edition eval to test and developer editon as well, both has SQL server agent , up and running  . But i still get the same error

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you really sure that you connect with the configuration manager against the developer/standard edition?

yes,first am connecting via sql server managment studio and using the same serve name to connect in the powerbi configuration manager

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you please post a screenshot from SSMS Server properties?

is this the one ?

image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, and this cryptic name in the first row do you entered exactly in the report server configuration manager?

yes, of course ! The test connection is successful in the power bi configuration manager . Only when i click next i get the above mentioned error

Anonymous
Not applicable

hm... caching?

I would prefer to uninstall the report server und reinstall it

yeah tried multiple times in different systems as well. Do you think .Net version might be an issue ? as in the requirements it is 4.6 is the the supported version , it doesnt say 4.6 or above . Windows 10 has 4.7 version.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I don't think so. Do you have a virtual machine to test it on a clean enviroment?

So I woul install a developer edition and a report server on this machine without any components from the express edition.

Tried installing in a new desktop , sql developer edition basic install and pbi report server , still getting the same error.

I'll try this and get back to you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.