Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ravzz
Regular Visitor

Power BI report server configuration error

I have recently installed a Power BI report server, While I am configuring Database in Report server Configuration Manager I get the following error:

Microsoft.ReportingServices.WmiProvider.WMIProviderException: An error occurred when attempting to connect to the report server remote procedure call (RPC) end point. Verify that the Report Server Windows service is running, and then retry the operation.

---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The RPC server is not listening. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706B3)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WmiProvider.RSWmiAdmin.ThrowOnError(ManagementBaseObject mo)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WmiProvider.RSWmiAdmin.GenerateDatabaseScript(String databaseName, Int32 lcid, Boolean isSharePointIntegrated, String& script)
at ReportServicesConfigUI.WMIProvider.RSReportServerAdmin.GenerateDatabaseScript(String databaseName, Int32 lcid, Boolean isSharePointIntegrated, String& script)

From SSMS I can connect to the SQL server and create a database.

Any help in fixing this issue is appreciated.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

bush3102
Regular Visitor

I had the same issue.  My workaround was to download and install SSRS 2017 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55252), uninstall SSRS 2017 then re-install PowerBI server. 

Go through each step of the SSRS setup (I installed the DEV edition for both SSRS and PowerBI).  Establish the service account, web service URL, database and web portal URL.  Then uninstall SSRS.  NOTE: I changed the default values for the virtual directories and database name so I could use the default settings in the PowerBI server setup.

Hope this helps.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ravzz,

Did you install the latest Power BI report server version 14.0.600.438

From the error message, it seems there is permission issue. Did you create the report server database on a remote computer? If it is, please use a domain user account or a service account that has network access. Also please check if the database server meet the requirements firstly. For more information, see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/install-windows/ssrs-report-server-create-a-...

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your reply @v-qiuyu-msft

I have tried creating database on the same server which is running 2014 Developer edition and I have tried on remote server which is running on 2016 Enterprise edition, on both the servers I had the same issue. Connection is fine as I could you able to do a test connection and login from ssms. Don't know what else to do?

Thanks,

Rav

Hi @Ravzz,

Please open log files (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\LogFiles) around the time error occurs, check if there are any detail error message. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your reply @v-qiuyu-msft

There is no infomation in log files but in the events log i see below error:

Faulting application name: RSManagement.exe, version: 14.0.600.438, time stamp: 0x5a29ef3f Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.1770, time stamp: 0x59bf2ba6 Exception code: 0xe0434352 Fault offset: 0x0000000000033c58 Faulting process id: 0x3a64 Faulting application start time: 0x01d3854e12942b01 Faulting application path: C:\Power BI\PBIRS\Management\RSManagement.exe Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll Report Id: bff0053b-611b-4124-ba5e-3f715df3f34d Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.