Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

yeemon

Power BI premium- Power BI report server or Oracle Database

Hi,

I am new to power BI. Currently my company interesting to go with Power BI and we are planning to have Power BI Premium since we will have our own hosting. My question is since we are using Oracle 11g, do we still need to invest for Power BI report server? I am looking forward the answers.

2 REPLIES 2
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @yeemon

I am not sure what Oracle 11g is but It depends on the how big your organisation is and how they are planning to use Power BI platform.

Power BI Platform has two main licensing components. 

Power BI Pro licensing and Power BI Premium licensing.

If you have small number of users (<50 users), then I would suggest you to sign up for Power BI Pro where you can share reports among other pro users

or Buy PBI Premium capacity which allows you to share reports with large number of users without everyone requiring PRO License.

Power BI Premium has other complementary components: Power BI Report Server, Power BI Embedded, Dedicated Capacity, Unlimited licences.

Power BI Report server is the on premises version of the Power BI.com but has several limitations/benefits as well.

You can host SSRS Reports, Excel Reports and Power BI Reports in a single environment. PowerBI.com is a cloud environment and provides you the dedicated capacity, embedding reports to external application etc.

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks,

Bhavesh 

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Hi @BhaveshPatel

Thank for the reply.

Oracle 11g is our current reporting database which we want to use for Power BI instead of Microsoft SQL Server.

At this moment we are targetting 50 user which is i agreed as small portion however we want to have BI premium on premises due to security concerned.

I know from some forum saying that there is a limitation for not using BI Report server, so currently i am evaluating those points.

Regards,

Yee Mon

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.