cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amal-Yaqoub Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Power BI on-premise deployment

Hello,

i am new to the whole power BI licensing specially for on premise. i understood that there is licensing option through SQL enterprise licensing, can some one give me more details on licensing approach? i have 10 users so far and this will be under volume licensing.

are there certain specs for the SQL to be licensed for power BI?? like core number and such.. appreciate the support

Regards

Amal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
philipplenz Established Member
Established Member

Re: Power BI on-premise deployment

No, the report server can only on the same machine installed, where the SQL Server Ent with SA is located. If you want to use a seperate machine, you must purchase a new licannce.

So you can only use the same number of cores for the report server and sql instance.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Established Member

Hi @Amal-Yaqoub,

Power Report Server can be installed, if you own a SQL Server Enterorise with Software Assurance. The Report Server must be installed there, where your SQL Server is located.

Also you can install a PBI RS if you have a Power Bi Premium:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi-premium/

Amal-Yaqoub Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thank you philipplenz for your reply.

luckily we have SA. so i can use the SQL Ent server i already have regardless of core number??? or should i buy new SQL with specific requirement of core numbers???

Established Member

No, the report server can only on the same machine installed, where the SQL Server Ent with SA is located. If you want to use a seperate machine, you must purchase a new licannce.

So you can only use the same number of cores for the report server and sql instance.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 6 members 3,151 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: