Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

saj
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI on premise - connect to on premise Sharepoint folder - Access to the resource is forbidden.

Hi, I am trying to get at a folder on our on premise Sharepoint site. 

I've tried a "Sharepoint Folder" eg http://site.ourdomain.com/subsite/ but the desktop will not allow access and errors with "Access to the resource is forbidden."

I can get the PBI desktop to connect to the UNC path eg \\site.ourdomain.com\subsite\shared documents\administration

and all is good in PBI desktop. The issue occurs when I try to set up a refresh schedule on our on premise Power BI site.

The error I get when trying to set up the credentials is

"We got the IO error '53' while trying to access the path '\\site.ourdomain.com\subsite\shared documents\administration'."

I've tried correct case and even including %20 instead of the spaces but I've not managed to get eithe rapproach working as needed.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, 

I found some other way to conenct to Sharepoint Folder .
First connect using Sharepoint List connector --> edit --> click on the Source at Applied Step --> Replace the Query with this 
= SharePoint.Contents("www.yourishareSite.com", [ApiVersion = 14])

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
Azhar2010
Helper I
Helper I

No success even after turning off this validation.

Still the same error from PBI desktop to Sharepoint 2013 On Prem server. "We could not authenticate with the credentials provided"

Please advise a solution.

Kind regards

Have you tried explicitly setting the API version?

It worked for us and we're running SharePoint 2013.

How are where to apply this ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, 

First connect using Sharepoint List connector --> edit --> click on the Source at Applied Step --> Replace the Query with this 

These steps are not enough to understand.

May i know more in details as to how this was done.

Thank you.

Hi, there is a previous post that outlines it clearly....

HOw would I do this. I am not sure , where to go and what to do.

PLease advise in steps.

Thank you.

I open PBI Desktop

Get Data ---> Sharepoint List ---> it asks for URL -----> and then credentials and then it stopped going forward.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI,

Just wanted to check if you were able to find a solution for this, even I am struggling to conenct power bi to on-permises sharepoint file

Hi, yes @Anonymous 

We are currently Sharepoint 2013 and by default Power BI assumes a higher level so you cannot directly connect to a file using the UI. That said it is easy to sort out.

Make sure you can see the 'Formula Bar'

I connect to a SP List then edit the first step.

eg initial step

=SharePoint.Tables("http://sp.site.com/MySite", [ApiVersion = 15])

Change Tables to Files and reduce the ApiVersion to 14. 

= SharePoint.Files("http://sp.site.com/MySite", [ApiVersion = 14])

There you go, good luck.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @saj ,

Thankyou so much for a quick response, yes changing to sharepoint.files worked!!

Regards,

Harish

This topic is about Sharepoint Folders and not Sharepoint Lists.

When you enter the url are you taking note of the info icon "Enter the root url for the site and not including sub folders"?

Are you displaying the Formula bar in Power Query?

In terms of Sharepoint Files create a blank query data source then manually enter the source details in the formula bar eg 

=SharePoint.Contents("www.yourishareSite.com", [ApiVersion = 14])

If you are similar to us you cannot create a data source to Sharepoint files using the UI but you have to manually create the first step. From then on you have a normal dataset.

Yes, I have noticed to enter the Root URL , not the list i.e. http://portal2.mea.ey.net/

Also I have tried doing this using a blank query, 

=SharePoint.Contents("http://portal2.mea.ey.net", [ApiVersion = 14]), the result is the same. 

Please advise, if there is a solution for this issue. PBI desktop is unable to access Sharepoint 2013 On Prem.

Thanks

Hi, sorry can't help any more. We've got it working with our on prem SharePoint 2013.

Good luck.

Thanks for your assistance. !

Brilliantly simple. Thanks for that!

Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@saj ,

We had to open a support ticket with Microsoft, and it is still open because we are having dual issues with connecting to on-premises SharePoint 2013. For the "access denied" problem, the MS technican had us change a security setting in SharePoint. Here's what he wrote:

This seems to be a security setting within SharePoint can be changed by going to Central Admin -> Manage Web Applications -> <select web app> -> General Settings -> Web Page Security Validation

• Set security validation to Off

His screen shot of the control:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Even I face the Same issue.. Any update from the Tech guys??

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous @v-yuezhe-msft 

I just posted a comment about what Microsoft had us do for the access denied issue. See my last reply to @saj 

Sara

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous  @saj , 

So far any update or solution for this ?? I am facing this issue too.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors