Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

saj
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI on premise - connect to on premise Sharepoint folder - Access to the resource is forbidden.

Hi, I am trying to get at a folder on our on premise Sharepoint site. 

I've tried a "Sharepoint Folder" eg http://site.ourdomain.com/subsite/ but the desktop will not allow access and errors with "Access to the resource is forbidden."

I can get the PBI desktop to connect to the UNC path eg \\site.ourdomain.com\subsite\shared documents\administration

and all is good in PBI desktop. The issue occurs when I try to set up a refresh schedule on our on premise Power BI site.

The error I get when trying to set up the credentials is

"We got the IO error '53' while trying to access the path '\\site.ourdomain.com\subsite\shared documents\administration'."

I've tried correct case and even including %20 instead of the spaces but I've not managed to get eithe rapproach working as needed.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, 

I found some other way to conenct to Sharepoint Folder .
First connect using Sharepoint List connector --> edit --> click on the Source at Applied Step --> Replace the Query with this 
= SharePoint.Contents("www.yourishareSite.com", [ApiVersion = 14])

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@saj,

Did you ever figure out a solution to this problem? We are having the exact same problem.

Thanks.

Sara

Hi @Anonymous

Not yet, we only had a small requirement so for the moment we've hacked a solution. I've written a batch script that recreates the files on a network share then the PBIX points at the copy.

Far from ideal but we couldn't justify much more effort at this stage. We'll revisit it if we ever get more demand.

There was a thought that it could be to do woth the site having 2 authentication methods turned on. Browsers can cope as can Explorer but Power BI whinged.

I'll keep my eye out for solutions.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just FYI, for anyone that is reading this thread.

I opened a support ticket with Microsoft earlier in February. We got someone to meet online with us and our SharePoint administrator. We shared a screen and let him experiment. He was able to reproduce the errors on our system, and said he'd have to do more research and would get back to us the following week. I didn't hear from him the following week, so I sent an email. He replied that someone else had been assigned to the problem (just great 😕 now we have to waste time explaining the problem again). I have not heard from the new tech support person. So, I sent another email today along with the link to this discussion.

If we find a solution, I'll post it here. Just for reference: we are using on-premises SharePoint 2013 and on-premises only Power BI Report Server. We do not have the Office 365 tenant enabled, but our security and infrastructure people are looking at enabling sync between local AD and Azure AD.

@Anonymous many thanks for the update.

We've had bigger fish to fry so hacked a temporary solution by copying the files out of SP and onto 'normal' share so we can get the PBI to refresh.

We've done this as we currently only have 1 pbix needing this functionality. If we can get to the bottom of the issue that would be brilliant.

Thanks again.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@saj,

I am unable to reproduce your issue on my side.

When I connect to SharePoint folder in Power BI Desktop optimized for report server, everything works well. Do you use Windows credential? If you are using SharePoint Online, please use Microsoft account to connect to the data source in power BI Desktop optimized for report server.

Capture.PNG1.PNG

In addition, regarding to the error message about UNC path, please check if the file is occupied by other programs and you have appropriate permission on it.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

We've done some more digging. We have a development box and I am able to connect onto a Sharepoint Folder.

Our live infrastructure has load balancers and mirrored servers so what do we need to do to access folders on our LIVE Sharepoint infrastructure?

Thanks

@saj,

In terms of UNC path, I suspect the issue is caused by the live infrastructure. What is the result if you configure load balancers and mirrored servers for development box?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft I do not have the resource to configure our development environment as a test. Can you advise or point me in the direction to confirm Power BI supports on premise Sharepoint folders in a standard load balanced / mirrored infrastructure? Thanks

Hi Lydia / @v-yuezhe-msft

Happy New Year.

Yes I use Windows credentials, we've even tried using our Farm Admin account as it has no permission restrictions (to our knowledge). We are running SP2013.

In terms of UNC then I can connect to it in Desktop (optimised for Report Server) no problem. The issue occurs when I try to set up a refresh schedule on the report server. So by the fact I can connect from Desktop this confirms I have the approriate permissions and PBI Desktop is happy with the state of the files.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.