Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ketevann
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI on Premise No Cloud

Hello, 

Can someone help me with Power BI on-premise ? 

Is it possible to have POWER BI on-premise?

I need to activete on-premise option. Should I buy Power BI Premium Per Capacity or Per User?

And also does Per Capacity license include unlimited users ?  

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Depends on overall architecture, if you plan you Power BI Report Server (PBIRS) alone (with import mode or direct query), or in combination with SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) for dedicated tabular models (with import, direct query and live connection mode).

There are functional differences and sizing differences.

PBIRS alone is functionally near to Power BI Pro,

PBIRS alone sizing limits are little better than Power BI Pro limits,

PBIRS+SSAS is functionally near to Power BI Premium,

PBIRS+SSAS sizing limits are bettter than Power BI Premium.

Generally, with PBIRS+SSAS, there is no real limit for number of consumer users, model size, number of processing, and performance is limited by licenced CPU cores (with Power BI Premium, is there limit for model size, number of processing, and performance is also limited by licenced CPU cores. But from functional/feature is better Power BI Premium (thanks MS's cloud first strategy).

Some functional compare is here:Comparing Power BI Report Server and the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Yes, you can have Power BI on-premies (Power BI Report Server), but feature set is little different.

There are two licencing options (both is based on number of CPU/cores):

-Is included in Power BI Premium (per capacity), at least for 8cores (Power BI Premium P1 node), mothly based subscription

-Or is included in SQL Server Enterprise Edition with Software Assurance, at least for 4cores and for 3year.

@josef78 
Thank you so much for your response. 
Can you please  help me to understand what are the differences?  (or may be you have link  to find out  this information), please.  

Depends on overall architecture, if you plan you Power BI Report Server (PBIRS) alone (with import mode or direct query), or in combination with SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) for dedicated tabular models (with import, direct query and live connection mode).

There are functional differences and sizing differences.

PBIRS alone is functionally near to Power BI Pro,

PBIRS alone sizing limits are little better than Power BI Pro limits,

PBIRS+SSAS is functionally near to Power BI Premium,

PBIRS+SSAS sizing limits are bettter than Power BI Premium.

Generally, with PBIRS+SSAS, there is no real limit for number of consumer users, model size, number of processing, and performance is limited by licenced CPU cores (with Power BI Premium, is there limit for model size, number of processing, and performance is also limited by licenced CPU cores. But from functional/feature is better Power BI Premium (thanks MS's cloud first strategy).

Some functional compare is here:Comparing Power BI Report Server and the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

@josef78  You are amazing. 

Thank you so much.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.