Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI desktop ---> Azure

I am working for a company and have been responsible for the PBI implementation. For the last 2 year all store managers and HQ personell have been using the reports that I have built in Power BI desktop (and published online) and that have been updated 8 times a day with a gateway. The data sources have mainly been our Data warehouse but to some extent also our ERP. 

I am not an IT guy but rather a Business controller that have learned Power BI desktop and DAX from Youtube. 

Now we have been bought up by a competitor that is also using PBI but have hired IT-consultants to build those reports in Azure. 

We have had discussions about doing the same: re-build our reports in Azure instead. 

What are the main reasons for building the reports in Azure instead of PBI desktop? What are the simliarites and differences between the tools? How big of a step would you say it is to develop reports in Azure instead of desktop in terms of IT knowledge? Is it more complicated or pretty much the same? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Building power BI reports on service ( I guess thats what they mean from Azure) may not be recommended in an extended team setup and a proper Power BI project running with multiple reports to be built. The modelling is not possible in Service and you can only use datsets built from Power BI desktop that you may reuse to build more reports in service. What you have been doing is perfect and thats the way power BI projects are undertaken. We do include Azure dev-ops or some form of source control to maintain versions/deployments but thats a seperate part of maintainability. Also even if we develop reports from same central dataset by connecting live to the dataset , the initial dataset is always developed in Power BI Desktop as a pbix and deployed to service workspace. 

The only other thing that we refer as Azure for Power BI is Azure Synapse integration but I doubt that they are referring to it here. Even with Power BI linked with Azure Synapse , it only helps to create a .pbids from SQL pool on synapse and then we open up that in Power BI desktop to create an actual dataset that can be deployed to workspace . 

I would recommend that you speak further and discover wht do they mean by "Developing power BI in Azure 🙂 )

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Building power BI reports on service ( I guess thats what they mean from Azure) may not be recommended in an extended team setup and a proper Power BI project running with multiple reports to be built. The modelling is not possible in Service and you can only use datsets built from Power BI desktop that you may reuse to build more reports in service. What you have been doing is perfect and thats the way power BI projects are undertaken. We do include Azure dev-ops or some form of source control to maintain versions/deployments but thats a seperate part of maintainability. Also even if we develop reports from same central dataset by connecting live to the dataset , the initial dataset is always developed in Power BI Desktop as a pbix and deployed to service workspace. 

The only other thing that we refer as Azure for Power BI is Azure Synapse integration but I doubt that they are referring to it here. Even with Power BI linked with Azure Synapse , it only helps to create a .pbids from SQL pool on synapse and then we open up that in Power BI desktop to create an actual dataset that can be deployed to workspace . 

I would recommend that you speak further and discover wht do they mean by "Developing power BI in Azure 🙂 )

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors