Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI desktop fro report server unable to connect to oracle database

Unable to connect to the Oracle Database using Direct Query from the Jan 2019 Power BI desktop for report server, I'm getting the 'Couldn't Load Data Model" errror. I'm however able to connect to the daatabase using import method.Kindly help me with this  thanks in advance.

Also is there a work around for downloading reports as pdf from Report Server.

3 REPLIES 3
KBO
MVP

Hi @Anonymous ,

have you installed the oracle driver on the server where the DB is?

Sadly exporting as PDF is not available you can vote on it using the below

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/32352469-export-report-server-pow...

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kathrin,

No I haven't downloaded the drivers on the server . But I'm facing the " Couldn't load data model" issue in the Desktop app itself. I do have oracle client and drivers installed on my desktop. 

Oh okay, I also heard that paginated reports can be used for now because export to pdf option isn't available.

Thanks & Regards,

Kadambare.

@Anonymous wrote:

No I haven't downloaded the drivers on the server . But I'm facing the " Couldn't load data model" issue in the Desktop app itself. I do have oracle client and drivers installed on my desktop. 

You will need the drivers both on the PBIRS server and on your workstation. In addition when connecting to Oracle you should look at using a "TNS-less" connection string (see https://www.connectionstrings.com/oracle-provider-for-ole-db-oraoledb/tns-less-connection-string/) this format of connection string does not rely on any local files and should work the same on your desktop and on the server without needing to edit tnsnames.ora or odbc entries on the server.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.